backfiring under boost

so just installed a manual boost controller, and when im on boost it backfires BAD. like rev limiter bad, and loss of power. does that sound like plug blowout? or do you think my ecu is putting it into a safe mode and cutting ignition? i bypassed the boost controller and its still doing it…could that be a vacuum leak? thanks.

rb.

Buy new plugs and regap them to handle the higer boost.
Check for leaks
Check your turbo gaskets

If you have a boost gauge hooked up see what your car is idling at, make sure its correct.

Wow an other useless comment from Sharp. Really this guy posts useless shit on everyone’s forum why not give the guy some help if you think you know something he doesn’t.

If the car is running in safe-mode it shouldn’t allow you to rev over i think it is 2 grand. How does the engine run dose it buck or shutter at idle? or is it just simply running way too rich?

Is it sr or ka? My experience is with sr.
If the engine can push past the rough spot I would try disconnecting the knock sensor and see if that does it.
If the engine sputters like crazy soon as you hit boost I would check for a loose/damaged intercooler coupler.

its an rb20. it only backfires when im hammering down and stay on the boost…and its worse in lower gears. if im 3/4 on the gas its fine, but boost seems to fall off so im going to guess its a leak on the piping or lines somewhere? if i hammer it in first/second/third its like its bogging/hitting the rev limiter and erratic.

i had a simular problem cause my shitty BOV wouldnt close, so i was running crazy rich under higher rpms. I say start troubleshooting the simple stuff first like vac leaks before changing plugs and sensors.

had the same thing happen to me with my SR, and it was my maf. It sputtered hard on lower gears while i was on the throttle, but it wasn’t as severe in 4th or 5th. It was so bad, I thought it was a coilpack, but it would pretty much only happen while under boost. Try giving it a good cleaning and see what happens.

why would you want to fix that?

back fire is MAD SIK

:slight_smile:

its prob a vac leak though

mine used to backfire all the time and stall out, turns out my recirc was fucked up

runs minty fresh now