bad window switch?

'03 Cavalier coupe

-Power window stopped going up this afternoon. It goes down fine.

I jumped the window motor from the car battery and got it to go up.

Does that mean the switch is bad? Theres only one switch in the center console for the windows and the right and left windows operate off one plug/unit so I couldnt swap sides.

ohm out the contacts to see if they only work one way

Probably the switch - I had the same exact thing happen. Replaced the switch and it swung both ways again, just like you do :lol

I didnt think of that and the car isnt here right now (not mine). Ill see if I get a chance to try that out at some point during the week.

Still thinking its a switch though since the motor functions when jumped.

Are you jumping it to the contacts right below the switch?

No. The switch is in the center console. I ran a piece of wire from the battery directly to the contact on the window motor itself and grounded it with another wire to the bracket holding the motor in place.

Is the console dirty ? If so its Prolly shit in the switch or a broken wire

car is actually pretty clean inside and I popped the switch panel out and it wasnt dirty or anything

It could be a broken wire as well - I had that happen in my car too lol. It snapped right inside the boot between the door and the body of the car.

the other side just had a bad motor replaced when it was in the body shop because it didnt work at all.

It happens. I just did a motor on an f-body the other day.

typical GM garbage. I cant count how many window motors Ive changed on Cavaliers, Sunfires and Grand Am’s back in the day. Wheel bearings all the time on all those shitboxes too.

All cars have their problems. I’d rather change a window motor than a drivetrain motor :wink:

Yeah cause fords 3 valve motors are doing great , wheel bearings as well , rear ends , calipers , transfer cases lol Ford isn’t that good either .

I used to work on a ton of Cavaliers and Grand Am’s where I used to work because we fixed wrecks and sold them and those issues were real common.

My motor is fine with 107k on it.

Yea because you don’t tow or haul anything with it :lol

OK one time for what, 5 miles? :rofl

probably 15 miles. Rexford thru Schenectady to Rotterdam

clean the damn knuckle out when you replace them and apply antisieze and never have a problem again