Window motor? (Taurus)

I’m helping someone fix a drivers window on a '96(?) Taurus. It’s stuck down and won’t move at all. I threw another switch in there, nothing, so I ruled that out. When I hit the switch I can hear a click inside the door, but nothing happens. All of the other windows work. Is this most likely a toasted motor, or another issue? I’m tempted to just pick up an entire door at M&M, to tear apart until I figure it out.

Yea the motor is most likely the case. What you could do to make sure that u are getting power to the motor is take a test light and a jumper wire and go across the connector for the motor and press up and down on the switch if it lights up both ways ur wiring is fine and u should just need a new motor.

My wife has a 2002 jeep and the window assembly that holds the window in the door broke and in turn running the setup up and down a bunch of times fucked it up. I had to buy a whole new assembly online and replace it. It is really easy and there are some great online step by step instructions. Im sure there are some for the taurus somewhere.

It’s easy if it isn’t riveted in like Ford used to do. Shit’s a pain to drill out.

i could come do it???

Window motor for sure - although it may not be dead. Test at the switch for voltage. If you’re full twelve, then unplug and plug back in the motor cable a few times. Also, if it don’t work there, hold the switch up and slam the door a few times, may be able to free it.

If not, O’Reilly had the part for $32, $25 core. By '96, Ford should have gone to the 3 7mm screws. Check the tracks for debris and straightness, lube that puppy up and go.

Thanks for the advice. I’m fixing it as a favor, and it’s a $300 work beater that just needs a working window. Or at least one thats not down permanently. I’ll mess with it tomorrow.

Cool, should be an easy fix. Not hard cars to work on. :slight_smile: