balance shaft removal?

i’ve heard several se-r/spec owners talk about removing their balance shaft? what does this do? and does it really give you more hp? is it worth it?

not sure wtf ur talking about, but the word “balance” makes me think it’s retarded to do.

stuff in enginered to last a certain amount of time(pretty damn long) and when there’s rotations, balance plays a big role in fatigue. . .

Balance shaft removal frees up some roating mass, but (possibly more importantly,) it removes the belt, so it can’t get caught in the timing belt.

It doesn’t hurt to remove them properly, but you feel more vibration in the car. It doesn’t make it vibrate any more, you just feel it more.

From my expericence with quad 4 (i understand your talking about a totaly different engine) removing the balance shafts in the 2.4L Twin Cam will not net you much hp (5-10 if your lucky) But most people do it to run the older and better oiling system of the 2.3L quad 4.

So for your motor, there might be a similar reason.

Amen. Balance shafts are a liability, they spin twice as fast as the crank…Which means they can fail if stressed.

they’re gone from my mota