Barret-Jackson Auction

I was just watching the Barret-Jackson Auction on SPEED…and a 2005 Ford Mustang FR500C just sold for 187k…its basically a factory Race Car…thats alot of cash

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/auctionresults/common/cardetail.asp?id=183731

yea it wiped out a quarter of bank account but i think it was a wise investment

thats a lot of cash for

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The FR500C is a non-VIN, non-production, non-streetable factory hand built, race ready Mustang[/font]

only 400 HP BLAH

some of those cars go for way more money than I’d think about paying for them. I’d rather have a not factory car that was fun to drive… than a 100% complete factory, numbers matching car… what’s the fun in that… I’d just want to mod the f*cker

barrett jackson is kinda ruining the hobby. it is making classics even less obtainable to the regular joe enthusiast. it is sending the values of muscle cars through the roof.

it doesnt matter to me too much though. the 60s-70s muscle cars are poorly contructed rattle boxes that fail to turn or stop. sure they are fast, but there is more to a great car than that for me. if i ever do get a hankering to drive one, i can alway take out one of my uncles old mopar things. it always sets me straight. 500 hp is dumb if the car has nothing else to offer. i simply have more fun in a snowy parking lot in my 130 hp audi. heck i have more fun on the on ramp from 90w to the 400 in my 90hp beetle.

its not so much BJ thats ruining it, its the rich people that buy the cars just so they can park them in their 400 car garage justto say they have it

BJ auctions is just filling a need, a place for these idiots to gather and compete against each other to piss away their money

the only way BJ could drive UP prices would be to limit the number of a certian car in existance … they would have to run around blowing up COPO camaros or something

WALMART is way way way worse then BJ could ever be …

Remember, you were able to get a Chip Foose 69 Camaro at Sams Club a few months ago…

i don’t really see the point of buying a number’s matching car, for bags full of money, especially since most of these people are to afraid to drive them, because the value will go down. But if your loaded who cares

I watched that Wrecks to Riches show on TLC the other day, and they built a GTX out of a chopped up Road Runner. they changed so much on that car and the thing sold at some auction for like 85 grand, and it wasnt even number matching and was pretty much a fake GTX. hell, it didnt even have the right GTX bages and stripes on it! personally, if i was to shell out that much for an old car, it damn well better me numbers matching!

everything sells for more than it should on that show, heck even an rx7 sold for over $40k

On of the big trends in the hobby is resto-rods. Take a classic and make it better. Improve the suspension, stereo, engine, etc… Most of the bidders will recognize the work done on a car done like this and will in most cases, bid appropriately. Part of the reason is because these cars are made to be driven and still retain some of the classic cues. Now if they actually had an original 71 GTX, that would most likely have gone for more than what they sold their resto rod for. But I was suprised how low the 68 Road Runner vert went for in the same auction.

The bottom is going to fall out on the car auction market soon. I bet they have 1 or 2 more good years then the prices start dropping.

Heck, if anyone wants to get into the buy and sell market for classic cars, buy the 68 Firebird vert that I’m selling. You can turn a decent profit on that when it is done :slight_smile:

not always, a 2002 (model, not year) bmw went for $4,000