Baseball and Steroids, Chapter: Barry Bonds

What is everyone’s feeling on this issue? I am a bit disappointed in Bonds for this and I think he deserves to get everything coming to him. I then read this article on ESPN.com and applaud the author for not humping the bandwagon, but I think he is a bit off his rocker…

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=whitlock/060314

I wrote him an email telling him my thoughts…

"Jason,

I just finished reading your Page 2 editorial about Barry Bonds recent steroid problems on ESPN.com. I must say that you put an interesting spin on things but I have to disagree with your assessment of Bonds. The part that stood out the most was this:

He’s a victim in all of this, no different than the kids who turn to steroids because they want to be just like Barry Bonds.

I completely disagree with this statement. You are comparing a man in MLB for over 15 years (at the time of supposid steroid use) to impressionably kids? Come on now, he has enough sense in his head to know the difference between right and wrong, regardless of how much press Sosa and McGuire are getting. You can throw that cliche that parents use on their children with this, “If they jumped off the Brooklyn bridge, do you have to as well?” Come on now, I think we can expect a bit more out of Bonds than what you describe.

It is, however, a bit unfair that everyone who works for a newspaper or would classify themselves as a journalist is coming out with their own Bonds story that we’re not even sure is true but I do not feel sorry for him what-so-ever. Life is all about choices and he made the wrong choice. I am not going to feel sorry for a guy who gets paid millions and millions of dollars if he gets suspended or that he has come under such scrutiny. Poor millionaire Barry Bonds who isn’t getting enough attention.

Bravo for going against the grain and not jumping on the bandwagon even if I don’t agree with you (not that my opinion matters at all, hhaha).

Matt Buono
Buffalo, NY"

What does everyone think about this issue?

obviously, being in SF, this is front page and back page news. People here seem to just shrug their shoulders and have pretty much accepted that this is not new news.

it’s upsetting. i’m not a huge baseball fan, but it’s just not right. i’d like to say that all of his records and accomplishments should be dismissed but:

a: he was such a solid all around player before the enhancers.

b: who knows who took what? how could you just bannish him altogether, when nobody could ever know what baseball players took what?

IMO, there is no possible way that MLB could not know this has been going on for so many years. It’s nobody elses fault by the MLB. :tdown: for turning your back to a serious issue instead of dealing with it right away, just so baseball could earn it’s precious fanbase back.

the whole steroid controversy has really tarnished baseball in the eyes of many purists. No other sport had the duration of statistical information that held true since it was recorded. People could compare players like Babe Ruth vs Hank Aaron and knew that regardless of era of play - the numbers are comparable.

as far as I’m concerned, Bonds can kiss my ass, and MLB can kiss my ass too. Don’t even get me started on Pete Rose. He’s a fucker too. There’s a special place in the afterlife for people like shoeless joe.

Pete Rose is in a different class than Barry Bonds. Pete did some things that were questionable outside of baseball but his statisitcs and skill were all there and there naturally. I think Pete needs to be in the hall of fame.