I'm under the impression...

…that when Aaron hit #715 the entire nation was watching. Yet I just happen to glance at an RSS feed mentioning that Barry Bonds hit #756 last night and find out that way. The commissioner of baseball wasn’t even there. Has baseball become that much less popular? Is Bonds that much less popular? Was it a race issue when Aaron took the record? Was it not as big of news as I think it was?

Anyhow, yeah Barry Bonds is the new MLB all time home run king.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/08/07/bonds.record/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

Baseball is extremely popular

Bonds is not popular

i wish every pitcher intentionally walked him every at bat

Its both, baseball is losing popularity and Bonds is a douchenozzle.

My real wish was for some pitcher to take out a knee…

i used to watch the yankees

its getting more boring and more commercials, too much to follow… etc

But mostly no one giving a shit about Bonds.

Nothing like an insider’s tell all book about rampant performance enhancing drug abuse to take the excitement out of record breaking.

I bet that if Ruth had been on steroids instead of alcohol so that his drugs were helping him instead of hindering him he would have hit 1,000.

word.

But pitchers did throw as fast back in the day (like 1914+) as they do now.

I think it’s a combo of things.

I know I personally don’t care about a guys personal achievement in a team based sport, when the guy has not done much good for the team he is on.

It’s not like he’s Gretzky and turned whichever team he was on into a powerhouse team that tore it up while DESTROYING records.

who cares, hes a cheater.

Baseball is actualy more popular than ever, tv and advertising contracts are getting more lucrative, and attendance is at an all time high. This is why you have a guy like ARod with a monster contract thinking about opting out so he can go for more money. Why make 25 mil a year, when you can make 30-35 :gotme:

the commish of baseball wasnt there when Aaron broke Ruths record either

Actually the pitching was quite close, the mound use to be higher, so in the old days pitchers always threw down hill. I believe back then they pitched in the 90mph area as they do today. I may be wrong though ! :slight_smile:

I <3 Bonds. I wish I was the dude that caught his ball, lucky (er got mauled then ended up with the ball)

selig openly didn’t want to “be part of this”… way to fucking ignore the largest controversy in the sport since Pete Rose.

Bonds is an asshole, based on his personal approach to people in general. Not too mention the cream & the clear crap. wether he juiced or not, he’s an asshole.

Steroids tell-all has taken a huge chunk out of the sports image… but prior to that it was already failing. The homerun race of a few years ago was the highest peak it’d seen in a while.

The game is fucking boring as shit to watch, right out there with golf. Even playing it can become tedious after a few innings.

Juice or not, its pretty shitty that this record will always have a “…?” attached to it.

$0.02

Oh snap!

BTW, I agree!

I laughed when I heard the Giants went on to lose the game :lol: Bonds is very polarizing, hence the downplay of the record.

Come on… ARod…?

• fucking 1 :clap:

It is very smart for Selig to not get involved. He called after he broke the record and talked on the phone. No matter what Selig did, support or not, he would have been scrutinized on a much higher level then he did now.

Quote of the day: “Bonds may have broken the record, but Aaron will always be the record holder.” Said by one of the past commissioners.