beagle training

he knows all the basics, and even taught him to ring a bell when he wants to go outside. I would like to teach him to stay with me when off the leash. I know its hard for a beagle to listen to commands when tracking a scent. I’d love to be able to let him off the leash in the woods and do his thing but come back to me when I say so. I dont want to use a shock collar, so is there any other means of doing this? has anyone gone this step with eurodad’s beagles?

oh and whens the beagle reunion? lol

ours stay with us.

maybe yours doesnt like you?

it’s tough. what i did may not be the best. i put the fear in them when they were young. they knew when i called they best come. the only time it didn’t work was when they were hot on a scent. these two i have now seem to listen good so far but i don’t take them hunting. i’m thinking of getting them bred next spring.

My Eurodad beagle does not stray from me whatsoever. She will go about 10-15 ft then look back at me to make sure its okay. If I say go ahead, she will go further then look back again. But when we are walking she trots right next to me.

My guess would be yours doesnt like you.

he’ll stay and walk beside me, but he tends to stray off and go to the end of the leash.
and if he catches a scent its over, he wants to hunt it out.

did you do any of that with mine? he’s scared of loud noises and is jittery around large groups of people

I may want another

loud noises lol i have a pointer and we can shoot guns over her head all day long but as soon as it starts to thunder and lighting shes hiding in the tub

rofl

My first question to you would be, are you using this dog to hunt or as a pet/compainion?

I have never trained a beagle, but have some time with many other breeds. I know that all other breeds work very well with positive reinforcment. THey (the dog) wants to please it master. THe only way it knows for sure you are pleased, is by your telling it. You can tell it by mouth, “good dog”. “good boy”, ect, but keep it to three word or less. The second way is by giving treats. The downside to treats is that the dog will becoe treat trained, if there are no treats it does what it wants. As long as it smells the treats in your pocket it will isten. You do not want a treat trained dog.

I have used an E-collar with great sucess. I, along with most guys that train dogs, hat the word shock collar, that implies pain and torture for no reason. If that is how you are using an E-collar you need one instead of the dog.

Any how get back to me on your goals for your dog, and I can offer some more advice.

wouldnt use him for hunting. I’d like to be able to let him off the leash to run rabbits but come when I say so. hell on the leash he doesnt really listen when he’s got a scent

I know one thing I did with mine when I was first training her to walk was to teach her to never pull on the leash. What I’d do is as soon as she’d put tension on the leash, I’d stop walking. Once the slack came back, we’d walk again. It was extremely tedious the first couple weeks I walked her, but eventually she got the idea and now she is great about it.

beagles are tough to train… i havehad them my whole life…first thing u wanna do is get him fixed otherwise when Hes off his leash and he catchs a scent…youll never see him again…lol

he’s been fixed, I’ve had him 2 years lol

nope. i do no training to any puppies that i dont keep.

Most people would try to train them/ask questions before they hit 2 years old

hes a good dog, just needs to learn whos walking who when on a leash sometimes

x2

thats what my dad did along with other common dog training steps & has worked GREAT with all the dogs we have had, especially r latest dog which is a Black Lab. we can take her ANYWHERE without a leash and she wont stray & if she does and you call her she comes right back

You should watch It’s Me or The Dog on Animal Planet.

Beagles fucking suck.

dont you have cats? :kekegay:

meow whats so funny about that?