dog obedience class?

Alright. I can’t deal with my girlfriends jack russell anymore. I want to get some classes for her to take him to. Anyone take there dog anyplace around buffalo?

Edit: I guess I should ask about price also. I could fix the problem for about .40

I debate doing this with my boxer as well. Hes awesome when I’m home. When I’m not… different story.

Took mine to a town / school sponsored “obedience” class. What a fuckin disaster. My dog did the same thing he did at home which was want to tear ass after the other dogs so it was like the problem was just magnified and squished into an enclosed space. The “gauntlet” was the best part of the class where you take your dog down the middle of a hallway lined with the other dogs so they could “get used to being around other dogs”. Yeah, right. You may have better luck with yours, or maybe just need a better school. I heard of one called Springfield Armory School for Dogs. Don’t hear much about the graduates though. Hmmmm.

^lol at SASfD

Don’t go to any of the pet store classes, they are cookie-cutter and tend to suck. I’ll ask my trainer for recommendations in Buffalo tomorrow.

Where do you live? My girlfriend works as a groomer at Love Your Dog on transit rd in Amherst. They do obedience classes there, we took them and it definatly helped with our jack Russell. The owner/trainer Janice is very passionate about dogs and her work.

I have a pit bull/boxer/ Shepard mix female. We did two types of training for her. They were both one and one and we spent a good amount of money. The first one went well, he lived way out of NY but drove up every weekend. She behaved very well, stops at every cross walk on her own, good with kids, house trained, etc. The only problem we have with her is she didn’t fell comfortable around other dogs. We would take her to the Buffalo dog park and she would just stay away from every other dog and would just carry a football in her mouth and when any other dog came near her, she would run away or scare them off by growling.

We wanted to make her associate with other dogs so we paid a for trainer from Sit means sit (2nd trainer) - http://www.sitmeanssit.com/. They use shock collars to train their dogs and let me just say that the trainer made our dog want to tear off any dogs head that comes by except for the dogs she grew up with, in which she is still the submissive one. In other words, don’t go with sit means sit. My finance and I ended the training early and didn’t even ask for a refund.

My 2 cents

shock collars are a horrible way to train dogs. plus its down right cruel

My boxer…same thing. She was fine till I left the she would be a maniac. I tried crating but she would froth and puke all over and thrash all day. Tried locking her in 1 room and she jumped against the door and gouged the shit out of it and broke all the molding off. I’m curious if it’s something with the breed or what not. They seem to become neurotic when alone.

LOL at OP saying .40 :wink:
I was coming in to post a pic of a weapon but you beat me to it more less. Maybe email the Dog Whisperer? LOL

I live in pembroke / she lives in buffalo. At this point I’ll drive to NC and let it get blown away by irene. My boxer will obey ME and only me. It tries to bite tires, and like to jump half way off my spiral stair case and is destroying it in doing so. I have no idea how to get the retart to stop when I’m not home.

---------- Post added at 11:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 AM ----------

Then I would have to waste .80

Yeah, don’t listen to Cesar Milan, he’s an idiot. Dominance theory is bullshit. And I have seen good dogs completely ruined by shock collars even in ‘experienced’ hands.

Ok, here are my trainer’s suggestions:

Vanessa at Ruff Relations
Miranda at Purrfect Paws.
There are a few other really good people I think are in Buffalo area. Possibly Mary Penny and Paula Kelman (I don’t know the names of their businesses off-hand, but I think they are both Buffalo area…). Their contact info should be on apdt.com

Good luck!

+1 on Mary Penny, I went to HS with her.

Thanks ya’ll I’ll call around and see who says what. :tup:

wait, how hot is the G/F that will answer your question. Is dealing with the dog worth it…

just spending time with the dogs over and over = best way to deal with any dog.

Deff worth it. No I will not post pictures. I put the dog in its place a few times and its calmed way down. It hates being picked up and held out like a baby that shit its pants. So when it starts barking I simply pick him up. It was trying to get into the trash and we caught him, he growled at us and got aggressive towards me. ( Really? your the size of my left boot dog ) It opened its mouth like it was going to try to nip so I just grabbed jaw till he calmed down, Not hurting him just enough to make him uncomfortable and know that US>him. She REALLY needs to work with him, not me.

depending on this situation. a rubber band around the nose will teach a lot to a small dog that is aggressive.

Food for thought. Having a dog is similar to having a kid. They need lots of training and attention that has to always be the same boundaries. Honestly, if you’re the one looking to have her take her dog somewhere to teach it you’re already going in the wrong direction. She needs to want to be in charge and control the dog. It’s sounding like you’re SOL unless you want to do the work.

I still have my 40 cent back up plan.

---------- Post added at 09:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 PM ----------

won’t they just paw it off right away?

Um, this is a terrible idea. Yes, let’s do something that will irritate the dog even more! Brilliant!