benifits to 180SX Brake Upgrade?

180sx rear brakes are the same as our usdm rear brakes there is no difference. So you do not need to do a rear brake upgrade.

All you need is 180sx calipers, rotors and pads. U can use ur stock 240 brake lines.

The 180sx rotor is 280mmX22mm. Its basically the same size as z32 brakes. Just not as many pistons. If u go to napa im pretty sure is 94+ altima. just measure the rotor when ur there thats what i did.

As mark said. You do not need 300zx brakes. They are basically useless unless u track ur car. The only reason they would do better on the track is because they are bigger all around and have more pistons. On the street stopping power would be almost virtually the same.

As for cross drilled or not, you can still go cross drilled if u want. Brake pads today still emit gas;s and thats why u get brake fade at high speeds. Or you can get slotted rotors.

As for one other thing. Ive heard i think from varun at a turtle jacks meet, that if u want to only run the 300zx fronts, then get a regular blank rotor with a decent pad and run cross drilleds in the back with an exellent pad and it will even up the braking power.

So lucas bang for ur buck 180sx front brakes are the best. only go 300zx if u plan on some crazy laptimes. Other than that its a total waste of ur time and just bragging rights.

Agreed. Most people on this board get/want 300zx brakes for the sake of having them, none of them even intend to bring it to the track. But then again, this is SON. =\

GT, you’re making a good choice, you definitely won’t be dissapointed.

The only advice I have to give you is not to take any advice from Ahmed.

HAHahahahahhaa I just read this thread.

GT, this is from my personal experience, with Z brakes all around, as well as the experiences of two other individuals that are HEAVILY involved in motorsports. One being Andrew, a guy that can outdrive pretty much anyone on this forum guaranteed, and the other being Adam H, a guy that WILL outdrive anyone on this forum, including Andrew.

Ahmed is an idiot. He’s more than an idiot, he’s a new realm of idiocy. Andrew runs 180SX brakes, RBF600 and HP+ pads on V710 R-comps. The stopping power he has is PRODIGAL, we’re talking bending the laws of physics here. His brakes don’t fade after heavy lapping on SMP, Mosport, TMP, etc… This is a person that pushes his car waaaaaaay harder than most hardparkers here.
What he has to say about Z brakes, this is a direct quote: “You and your baller wannabe brakes Antonio… you shoulda gotten 180SX like me, you’re just wasting your money trying to be baller”
Z brakes are NOT worth the money 99% of the time.
Adam H runs a car with over 400whp, in Solo 1, and wins his class like all the damn time. He’s running only front Z brakes, with Hawk Blues, blank rotors. Rears are stock with hp+ I believe. Running on RA1s.
He also made fun of me for getting Z brakes all around and called them useless.

If you want to race, get good pads, and make some brake cooling ducts. That will be the cheapest and give you the most performance.

yeah i’ll go along with Z brakes being overkill in most cases. Even stock brakes, front and rear, when working properly and with good pads will be more than enough for any street driving scenerio.

I’ve been in cars with stock brakes that stop better than my car with Z brakes.

haha i was going to say… ahmed what do you run for tires… cus i can put stoptechs on my car and run motomasters and have worse braking power than a lada with four wheel drums…

i think you need to so some reading on the actual technical background of brakes and how they work. as well look into why exactly cross drilled rotors work/dont work in certian situations.

please refrain from posting in the tech section unless you can post a direct link to a credible source to back your “advice”

thanks

Greg

One last thing,

Ahmed, if your brakes are so awesome, then please STOP posting.

ABS s13 rotors are 255mmx21mm, the rear calipers and rotors are the same as non abs. z32 brakes in my opinion are for heavy rides, 300zx is around 3550 for the 2 seater. Thats almost 800lbs more then a 240sx. 180sx brake setup is more then efficient for drift, but if you come across a great deal for a z32 setup, go for it. It’s overkill but it wouldn’t matter if you get it cheap.

I’m going to agree that z32 is overkill unless you are building a strict race car in most cases.

A car like farmers that probably has 1000+ pounds of stereo and 600whp or whatever the hell might be an exception.

I have z32 front with metal master pads (nothing special) and they have never shown any sign of weakness and if anything I regret doing anything more than 180sx fronts for the type of driving that I do (and plan to do).

I would much rather have 180sx fronts with good pads and rotors all around than my current setup.

Just another OPINION. Take it or leave it.

one thing that hasnt been mentioned or talked about yet is the Brake MC which plays a key part in how well your brakes will work… I run a Z32 MC with the 180sx fronts and the pedal feel is awesome (much better then with the stock MC) and the amount of pressure needed @ the pedal is much less since the MC is bigger…

People who run Z32 brakes up front or even all round but still use the stock MC will have a semi-soggy pedal and not really have the full effect of the brakes

GT just hit me up on MSN, I can fill you in on anything you need to know about the 180sx brakes.

It will be a lot easer there then talking on this shit show.

Even know I agree with pretty much everyone posting about the 180sx brakes. Best Band for buck. and my car stops 100% better then my 2006 Tarus / 2002 altima 2000 Legacy GT (With big twin pistions)

Actually it has to do with weight transfer during braking. The car is going to try and pivot on the front wheels (i.e. ass in the air) so the inertia beats out gravity in the back. Without the weight you lose the traction on the rear tires while you’ve gained it on the front. If you had larger rear brakes you’d just lock your tires faster and lose even more traction…

^What you said is right about weight transfers…

Holy crap, I’ve never actually thought about that. Awesome Idea. I guess it’s a good upgrade if your master fails on you and you need a new one.

Ever thought of q45 brakes?, their available for a good price, use the same size rotor as the 300zx and have no fitment issues like the 300zx brakes. You can run them on stock teardrops or 7 spokes.

Their also a large 2 piston…

ever head of shut the fuck up. and fobwall is a faggot ass bitch!

might as well…

http://forums2.freshalloy.com/showthread.php?t=150334

I only have z32s in the front and stock mc and pedal feel is more touchy than with the stock brakes, not spoungy or soft whatsoever.

I run Z32’s up front and I love them, they stop amazing. Anyone who says that Z32 brakes fade on a 240sx either has a serious setup issue or rides the brakes like a blue hair. For 95% of the people on this forum the 180sx fronts are more the enough stopping power. Unless you have a good reason, and tires to support them Z32 brakes are definatly overkill.

Hey well decided to bring this threads up from the dead…installed my 180SX brakes last night and just went for a test drive…

I find they lock up realllly easy…but i guess its becsue i am not used to them.

i notice a difference for sure… stoping is alot quicker now…alot more then i thought…worth the money/time IMO…this probly about as far as ill go with brake upgrade…other then maybe a slotted/drilled rotor once the blanks ware out,anyway just thought ide post this up

Hawk HPS pads all around now too make a difference!

also as stated in my first post …car no longer has gay ABS brakes,andi realised how much ive learned…reading the posts i feel like a newb askin those questions…but hey gotta learn somehow!

if you didnt have the HPS pads and just swutched to them then ur comparison is flawed since those pads bite so well.

True, i just had them in the rear installed about 3 weeks ago…not sure the brand of the front but they lasted a long time…3 summers. i see what you mean though becasue i have better pads now too its making it seem even more of an upgrade.