Best Coffee / Espresso?

I was never ever a coffee drinker and still am not really. And yet i still find myself “out for coffee” quite often more as a social thing, in between meetings or instead of having people over or being had over to ones place.

Most often it’s just for a quick espresso since i work with so many italian guys.

Often end up in Starbucks’ but their coffee actually kinda sucks. Their espressos are an abomination.

Where do you coffee dudes end up and is there a reliable espresso from a national or international franchise?

I try to stay away from starbucks, but it’s a good fall back if I can’t find an alternative.

I always try to find a coffee shop that sells fair trade/organic stuff. The place downstairs at my work gets their beans from a local coffee roaster. Counter Culture Coffee, all fair trade and organic.

At home I drink another local brand called Larry’s Beans. Great Stuff.

I just started drinking Americano’s, so much better than drip coffee. I also really like Latte’s.

edit: by local, I mean Raleigh, NC

americanos all day, chea

Not sure if any chains make it this way, but the best way to make plain old coffee is with a french press. You get more of the oils from the bean. You’ll notice that the “froth” from a turbulent pour is a little thicker and has a browner tint. Even cheap shit tastes way better when made this way. So if you can get it made that way, do it.

All I drink is plain black drip coffee so if any chains have good creamers or flavor shots or whatever the fuck else you fancy fuckers put in your coffee I wouldn’t know about it, but as far as the plain old base ingredient goes, here’s my feelings on the big chains:

-Starbucks - Strong and burnt. I like it this way so it’s probably my personal favorite, but it’s not really “right.”
-Tim Hortons - Bitter. They must grind their beans too fine or something. Their coffee’s just really not very good. Plus the lids guarantee you’ll slosh shit all over your car.
-Dunkin - Probably the best drive through cup of coffee. Mild, not too strong but not office coffee club weak.

There’s a place called Coffee Culture around the corner from me. I’ve only been there once or twice. IIRC their coffee is somewhere between Timmys and Dunkin.

:shrug: Guess I’m no help if you’re looking for an espresso or something.

Best espresso I ever had was in France. Paris, to be specific. The office swill I’m drinking now needs like 1/4 cup of caramel creamer to make it ok for consumption.

Closest LOCAL espresso I’ve found to Paris espresso is at Roam Cafe’ on Park Ave here in Rochester, which is a cafe/gelato place on one side and a Moto Guzzi/Aprillia dealership on the other. Run by 2 older Italian guys, I’m pretty sure running the shop is just a hobby of theirs.

I’ve found that if a place has Illy espresso, it’s usually not bad. Sorry I’m no help on the national/international chain suggestions.

Three olives triple espresso > *

McDonalds coffee has come along way. I like it more then Tim Hortons, and Starbucks. Plus a medium at Tims is a large at McDonalds

im a tim hortons man. just got an app that shows me where the closest one is.

Timmy Hoes > *

But…

Your mom’s coffee is the best.

Oh spit!

See Location, and I am not a coffee drinker.

Tim hortons blows

Also, +1 for using a french press

try the Italian clubs on the danforth, or st Clair west.

^whenever I hear Danforth I think of Barenaked Ladies.

i use a press at home. thats the manly way to go. its strong and dirty tasting and sometimes you get little grinds in your mouth and it just feels right.

---------- Post added at 09:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 AM ----------

i think of JWDanforth in colvin woods

moka pot at home occasionally with beans roasted fresh by some broad i know. how homosexual of me.

I don’t drink coffee as much anymore. Working in the inert atm. glovebox is a shaky and expensive endeavor with caffeine.

+1.

Hamilton farmers market downstairs. There is a Colombian lady who brings in beans from Colombia fresh, grinds them right in front of you and makes your espresso. Besides espresso in Europe, it is easily the best espresso I have had. Be sure to try it out! You will not be disappointed.

i will def try that out.

Everyday coffee - Tim’s

When I want to spoil myself - Stumptown Beans, Burr Grinder and Aeropress