Best Deal on Motorcycle Tires?

Ive done alot of searching… just wondering if you guys know of any places. I have access to free mounting an Balancing, just trying to get good deal on some good tires (qualifier’s, d208’s, Corsa’s, etc)…

Im finding around 250$/set…for decent tires anyone know of anyplace cheaper?

Go to a motorcycle dealer/shop. Ask for “take-off’s” If they don’t have them, they’ll probably know someone that does. I got a set of perelli’s mounted for $175 :headbang:

chris at flatoutmc in indy or swmototires.com and then reference it to dennis kirk which will beat any price by a dollar… free shipping to…

doesnt ray jones have a bunch of take-offs these days

be careful the takeoffs are the same quality…an r1 is a pretty serious machine and the only part touching the pavement is the tires - you know that though

I got my michelin pilot powers for 240 from swmototires.com. 4 days it took to get them.

[quote=“K Cuv,post:5,topic:28040"”]

be careful the takeoffs are the same quality…an r1 is a pretty serious machine and the only part touching the pavement is the tires - you know that though

[/quote]

You telling him or me? ( I have on 06 R1 :slight_smile: ) The tires I have now are stickier cold then the dunlops were on a summer day. :headbang:

Besides, if you’re buying take offs that are worse than your stock tires, I wanna see the race those were in so i can videotape the crashes :smiley:

go to berts motorsports and tell pete the parts manager to hook it up.

and I wouldn’t run takeoffs on a street bike.

[quote=“walter,post:9,topic:28040"”]

www.sportbiketracktime.com

and I wouldn’t run takeoffs on a street bike.

[/quote]

Why? The compounds are stickier, are rated for higher speeds, and are cost effective. The only drawback I can see is they wear down a little quicker, but I have set to see a person change them within the same season unless they like showing off with burnouts. I’m happy to pay for a new set every year knowing they have less of a chance sliding from underneath me.

By all means, if there’s a more serious drawback, I’d like to know for my own well being.

(PS, to make sure we’re on the same page, “take offs” that I’m referring to are used once in races, not take offs as in “used” tires that someone rode on for a few months, or took off their brand new bike for better tires)

[quote=“Schema,post:10,topic:28040"”]

Why? The compounds are stickier, are rated for higher speeds, and are cost effective. The only drawback I can see is they wear down a little quicker, but I have set to see a person change them within the same season unless they like showing off with burnouts. I’m happy to pay for a new set every year knowing they have less of a chance sliding from underneath me.

By all means, if there’s a more serious drawback, I’d like to know for my own well being.

(PS, to make sure we’re on the same page, “take offs” that I’m referring to are used once in races, not take offs as in “used” tires that someone rode on for a few months, or took off their brand new bike for better tires)

[/quote]

Race tires are designed for very few heat cycles (hence why racers use tire warmers in between sessions) and deterioriate very fast when cycled continuously. They also take longer to get up to temp, are useless in the rain, and are more sensitive to cold temperatures. Just because they tire appears to look fine (ie not worn to the belt) doesn’t mean that the compound isn’t toast (having hardened and lost its juice from the continuous heat cycling).

Like I said, I would not run take offs on the street. They are great for track day tires, but not for street riding.

Well, I’m not racing on them, riding in a rain, or using tire warmers to put them though heat cycles to cause this deterioration. I understand if all this would apply to using them on the track, but I’m still not sold on them being a bad choice to replace stock tires. I’ve never, ever, ever heard of anyone going down/losing traction as a direct result of switching to a take off. Those factors may be true, but it seems it would only apply if you’re taking them to races where they’re under an extreme temperature variance, and if you’re riding in the rain, I can think of 10 other things that a person should be more concerned about.

Not trying to butt heads with ya bud, but you are the first out of hundreds that say it’s a no-go, and the fact I’m running on take off, I’d like to make sure I’m not missing anything that can F* me up

Willard try kneedraggers.com thats where I got the new rear for R1. Good prices and they shipped it quick and yea stop burnin out ur f’in tires mang. Those Rolling burnouts are smokin ur shit fast! btw i did the 18 hour sleep thing you mentioned lol i was mad tired yesterday as you saw.

[quote=“Schema,post:12,topic:28040"”]

Well, I’m not racing on them, riding in a rain, or using tire warmers to put them though heat cycles to cause this deterioration. I understand if all this would apply to using them on the track, but I’m still not sold on them being a bad choice to replace stock tires. I’ve never, ever, ever heard of anyone going down/losing traction as a direct result of switching to a take off. Those factors may be true, but it seems it would only apply if you’re taking them to races where they’re under an extreme temperature variance, and if you’re riding in the rain, I can think of 10 other things that a person should be more concerned about.

Not trying to butt heads with ya bud, but you are the first out of hundreds that say it’s a no-go, and the fact I’m running on take off, I’d like to make sure I’m not missing anything that can F* me up

[/quote]

Um.

Riding with them on the street causes heat cycles. You use tire warmers on race tires to keep them at operating temperature after your first session so they don’t cool down while sitting in the pits, thus adding heat cycles. Every time you go out on the street and ride for more than 10 minutes, and then let it sit for 10 minutes, it is a heat cycle. Typically, race tires don’t appreciate 240 million heat cycles.

Go ask on the WERA (racers) board if you don’t believe me, I wouldn’t take info from SBN or any of those places seriously. Not arguing with you, just trying to make sure you (and everyone else in the thread) has correct info to base their decisions off. Don’t take this the wrong way, but there are plenty of sport bike riders out there that could get away with rotten tires because they aren’t utilizing any portions of the bikes capability. I don’t ride anywhere near speed on the street any more, but still wouldn’t run my own takeoffs on my street bike.

Cool deal. I wasn’t bustin’ your chops either. I’d be ignorant to stand my ground without asking questions, and I really do appreciate you clearing a few things up. The last thing I want to do is give bad advice :tup:

A+++ thread, seriously. Instead of arguing and yelling like a bunch of fucking morons, we have two people who can have an informative conversation on here without tweeking on each other. :tup::tup: Good info to know guys, thanks. :tup:

[quote=“walter,post:11,topic:28040"”]

Race tires are designed for very few heat cycles (hence why racers use tire warmers in between sessions) and deterioriate very fast when cycled continuously. They also take longer to get up to temp, are useless in the rain, and are more sensitive to cold temperatures. Just because they tire appears to look fine (ie not worn to the belt) doesn’t mean that the compound isn’t toast (having hardened and lost its juice from the continuous heat cycling).

Like I said, I would not run take offs on the street. They are great for track day tires, but not for street riding.

[/quote]

amen… and for the cost of mounting and balancing every 1500 miles id rather run a nice street compound tire, aka pilot power, alotta the sv guys are running z6’s and getting 8k out of them…

race compounds for the track…
street compounds for the street…

lets see if i can get jbgti to make his first post lol

[quote=“Willybeen,post:17,topic:28040"”]

race compounds for the track…
street compounds for the street…

[/quote]

At the end of the day, that’s the correct answer.

[quote=“Rx3,post:18,topic:28040"”]

At the end of the day, that’s the correct answer.

[/quote]

coming from a guy who runs takeoffs from time to time on his street bike…

<3 thanks for the honesty and input

btw, is the 6rr gonna be ready for beaver?

andddd. i posted 235 a set for the pilot powers early in this thread… however, i over looked that you have a liter bike… i think its 244 or something like that for a 190 tire and a 120 tire… fwiw

good luck

[quote=“FASTMOFO,post:13,topic:28040"”]

Willard try kneedraggers.com thats where I got the new rear for R1. Good prices and they shipped it quick and yea stop burnin out ur f’in tires mang. Those Rolling burnouts are smokin ur shit fast! btw i did the 18 hour sleep thing you mentioned lol i was mad tired yesterday as you saw.

[/quote]

it was not an intended rollin burnout… my tire was just telln me it had enough of the power wheelies(but it was worth wasting you and chris by a few small train lengths :whip: )

yeah i figured you were gonna be useless… saw that your back to work tho so im sure you’ll be sleepin the rest of the summer… but ill give that place a look see and try to get some new tires asap…