Tires for Track Days/DE

I have decided to throw some new tires on my stock supra rims (17x8 & 17x9.5). Im debating on throwing on some race tires like V710s since I would be using exclusively for the track. Wondering though if I should just go with a regular tire like pilot sports. What do you guys use for the track?

what kind of track use in particular? auto-x? lapping events? drag?

Exclusively road courses

That depends - Do you want the best tire, cheapest, longest life, or best value?

definatly an r-compound dedicated race tire then if your willing to spend the money. you have to remember they dont last really long but if your willing to spend the cash…the grip level is far superior to a common street radial. as far as what brand is better, the kumho’s, yoko’s, hoosier’s, hankook’s seem to be on a level playing field. from what ive read though the kumho’s dont heat up as fast, so it may be a better choice with the heavier car.

Im looking for something that will last at least 2 events at dunville and is in the price range of 200/tire. I know V710s or r comps will stick better than a non competition radial but do I need that if I am just doing event at dunville?

Just buy the R-comps. You won’t be disappointed. And with the attitude of “it’s just dunnville”, you might as well run all seasons on the street, because it’s just point a to point b, right?

Don’t buy a true slick, get something more progressive like a Toyo RA1 or the new Nitto NT01 (same compound better tread blocks) or the upcoming Toyo R888 (next gen RA1 / spec tire for a lot of series). The next step up from that is like a Michelin Pilot Sport Cup - a little more grip, far worse in any dampness/wet/cold and nowhere near as progressive - which is actually WHY I got them, they’re (to me) like training wheels for a TRUE hoosier slick. On a budget, also consider the BFG R1 - supposedly almost as much if not more “stick” than the Hoosier R6 at a lot less cost (downside is they don’t last forever). For your first set of “track day tires” I think you’d be wasting your money and learning bad habits (and increasing risk) using something like an R6 / V710 / etc…

The only problem with the “training wheels” idea is that it doesn’t necessarily work that way. A “full slick” is constructed differently than an aggressive street tire. The handling characteristics are so different, that you may learn bad habits. And since R6 and MPSC are about the same price, give or take, why settle for second best?

Oh, and for the record - my hoosiers were better in the rain than azenis.

the main thing in question is which had more tread the hoosiers or your azinis at the time?

Unless your putting on the suit and going door to door. i cant see spending the money on dedicated slicks, theres a reason they are marked “for competition” only.

i like the idea of training wheels. and i appreciate a properly working hi-performance tire.

but stick to something street legal if the only road-course your planning on running is dunnville. yeah the grip on a R-comp is great. but learning how to get a car to turn on a sticky summer tire like a azezini or sport comp first. youll get a much better bang for your buck.

Hoosiers only have that one grove to begin with, and the azenis were near EOL, but still had tread.

I love my NT01’s. 2 days at dunnville, 3 auto-crosses and 6 hours of track time at the Glenn, and they still have > half their life remaining

Sorry to go OT, but…I’ve never even seen this thing in action, i always thought your supra was just for shows and occasional highway pulls… :tup: to gettin it out at some road course events, can’t wait to see it!

holly dog… baller $$$ im jealous. looking to get 2 events on a fresh set of v710s? make sure you pay to get them heat cycled or youll be slipping around at first. personally i was amazed how long my Victoracers lasted for Time Attack @ TMP. i got them 2nd hand and thought i would only get 1-2 events out of them, put 60-80 miles on them there and theyre still good for another event, maybe 2.

i would get the v710s if you were to run something like watkins, well id get the hoosiers, but regardless, if youre going to be driving dunnville id say you dont need R-comps. You can for fun but then why not just use a progressive tire like moffit said, or back down to a less sticky more road race r-comp like the victoracer.

i dont have enough experience to comment on training wheel slicks, but its true about R-comps hiding mistakes, compared to streets. You should learn first on a set of street tires, then the hoosiers will make you a hero later on. prob the best compliment i ever received was from A. Schoonmaker as a driving instructor as a novice: i got done with my run and he said it was good, good lines, good braking, wouldnt change anything, he said he was impressed, then he said “But slicks can hide a lot” and then gave me a 30talk about how novices shouldnt use slicks. Best thing was that when he got out he saw i was on street tires. It was cool because i heard the story thru the grapevine :slight_smile:

+2392039239022002011111

DO NOT buy a full slick if you’ve never spent time on them. You will be plenty happy with the grip, but it’s going to hide some of your driving flaws that will need to be corrected first (everyone has them), and when it finally bites you in the ass, it’s going to bite you hard. And I know you dont want to have to pull the Supra out of WGI on a flatbed and claim a hit and run against a baby blue car somewhere in Corning or Geneva. The ONLY way I would suggest an R6 is if you ONLY do Dunnville on them. Otherwise get some time (a few events) on a cheaper, decent street tire, or maybe a DOT-R and then move up gradually. If you want I can put you in touch with a few people who can further advise, but I’d also talk to Mike Lee who tracks his MKIV and Dave’s advice is basically spot on to my opinion (as he and I have shared our thoughts on this many times and had hours of tire debates and are basically the same opinion at this point hahaha)

+123490378348 also.

I have the nitto NT01s and love them so far.

Ah the Nitto NT01s come in 255/40 & 275/40, exactly the sizes I was looking for. Now I just have to find a place with good prices, preferably local so I can get them mounted.

Discount Tire Direct if going online, or Dino Tire has them locally.

Swerve can get you a good deal on them too - plus cheap mounting/balancing.

swerve has a hookup with discount tire direct, so just get it here local