Best engine?

So iam going to be turning my 93 240sx into a more beefier car obvisously for well every reason i can think of. But got into a discussion with friends about what engine to swap into it. Or just turbo the shit outta the stock KA thats in there. But what do you guys think about it?
Cuz i want to boost it so lets hear some insights?

and if its other than what engine and why?

It really depends on your budget is and your power goals YOU want to achieve on the car. and is it for Drifting? Drag? Street Cruiser?

This is a bit of a silly poll. You have to compare apples to apples. If you want a drift machine, sr20. If you want big power and you have big cash, rb26.

Also rb25/rb26 should not be in the same category.

And wheres the CA? :wink:

To answer your question tho, how much do you know about nissans/cars in general? The most important question in my opinion is: How much money do you have to spend? Id say do sr20 if you want to do a relatively easy and cheap swap compared to doing an rb25 swap. Dont think that its any easier or cheaper to turbo the KA either.

silly poll indeed … where is the VQ35 swap :stuck_out_tongue: or Titan V8 … geez

where is the 2JZ? where is the LS1 where is the Rotary?? where is the VG30dett

blah blah its your choice do your research and pick somethin. And SR’s are about the same price as Rb25’s btw

How is the SR great for a drift machine??? Is it the lack of response, or the issues with the valvetrain that make it a good engine for drifting??

And pricewise i would rather get some forged pistons and throw them in a KA with a good size T3 turbo than spend money on any other engine.

I have worked on CA’s SR’s and built a couple of KA-t’s and and a RB25 and for the money the KA-T wins.

I think he wants to drive his car within the next 2 years Scott LOL

Power goals?

ya i kinda pooped the bed there by forgetting the CA thats my fault and as for the 2jz and the rest of them…Thats what the other category is for.
And its going to be drifting and autocross for me with a power about 350 to the wheels i think would be good.

Personally i think it would be give the KA its t (KA-T) or drop in a CA18 but thats myself

Just kinda wanted to shoot it out there and see what opinions are floating around.And see how many ppl i can moritfy with my ackward grammar and god awful spelling:lol:

I was gonna say the SR is favourable because it’s fairly light, but I love how you don’t beat around the bush hahha.

And I’m not really questioning your knowledge I’m sure you know your shit, but doesnt’t it take a bit more than just throwing in forged pistons and slapping on a t3 to make power outta the KA? By the time you add up manifold/turbo/injectors/fuel management/misc are’t you almost on par with an sr swap?

My car i would do the Rb26 or the VQ35 the only problem with the Vq is you need FI or a huge NA build to make 350 to the wheels. Because of the FI It wouldnt be cost effective to do the VQ. The 5.6L Titan engine is a nice idea and you wont need FI due to the torque but you do need a custom short runner intake (unless you do your own fab work this could be costly to develop and build likely more than the cost of the engine) to make good HP and clear the hood unless you plan on cutting a huge hole. SR and KA-T seem to be the most popular mostly due to cost and ease of install if you have a big budget do the RB26 in MY OPINION its the holy grail of 240swaps but on a realistic budget SR or KA-T.

I’m about midway thru an rb20 swap in my coupe. Don’t even get me started on why i chose it.

Yes theres a bit more to it than just pistons and a turbo, but if you factors in the original cost of an SR that is the money for a complete bottom end build (pistons, rods, bearing, balance blue print etc), then turbo, manifold, injectors and some sort of tuning method is gonna cost the same for both.

With the KA you would have a fresh built motor with a big turbo, big power etc

With an SR you would still have a used old motors with a big turbo etc.

The difference is that the KA is already there and has 20% more displacment too. However the KA-T always gets a bad name because people boost old ones then crank the boost on turbos which are usually significantly bigger than the T25 that SR’s are equiped with and blow the ring lands. Both motors have the same piston material from factory but the difference in compression between the SR and KA is enough to push the KA to having a higher chance of cracking a piston. And as for weigh…Who cares move your battery to the back of the car or take out the bumper rebar if your so concerned about the extra 50 Lbs the KA weighs.

KA-T for the mo-fck’n WIN

Flavio, build up a KA and laugh at people who want to save 5% weight with the SR when your making 50% more HP… zoom zoom…

see i was kinda wondering why the RB20 wasnt getting any love as i have seen some inpressive numbers and some pretty cool shit done with it but i take it your not so happy with yours?

if you have to ask other people what motor to go with, then the CA or the KA-T are your best choices. the ca is the cheapest swap you could do. tha KA-T is the cheapest way to be turbo’d. its never a good idea to spend a tonne of money on your first project.

second the KA-T with a modest amount of boost will give you a very quick car. while the CA though not as powerful, is the lightest of them all, making it the best choice if you’re building something that will turn corners and brake too, without spending a fortune on expensive tires and suspension. and unlike the SR which has a very heavy head, most of the CA’s weight is low down in the iron block, lowering the center of gravity.

although it would be fun to lay waste on the street with a KA-T, I think it would be more fun battling to keep the revs up on an autocross course in a CA. it just depends what you’re going to do with the car really.

oh and btw, the CA head design wont flow much more then 300hp, so if you’re fixated on that number, i guess you wont get there with a CA

Oh I just said that cuz i didn’t want the sr guys jumping in and comparing the rb20 to the sr.

But I havent even got it in the car yet. Too much fucking around with an old rusty car. Finally have the crossmember in, and i bought a bolt for my new control arm from Edm nut and bolt, only to find out the crossmember has two different sized holes for the same thru bolt, one larger than the other, cuz of the stupid fucking tapered control arm bolt. Now i gotta rip it off there to drill one hole out. Not impressed. Unless someone has a spare control arm bolt? Haha

Anyways. I chose it cuz its an I6 and its cheap. lol. But don’t let it decieve you. You’ll either need a mount kit or an R32 crossmember (I went xmember). If you use the crossmember you may or may not have to cut the hood. I also bought BMW E30 mounts cuz apparently they will lower the motor a bit. I’ll let you know how that pans out. The turbo elbow may or may not fit and will need grinding/cut reweld. Also, I wasn’t sure what exhaust to use so i bought BINGs (very nice product by the way) s13 catback with an SR DP and hopefully i can find a competent shop to cut and reweld the flange. Also ill need an efan setup. Thats as far as ive got haha.

I wouldn’t go as far as 50 percent more ponies…YOu can also look at how many engines flavio popped. And if they are soo sweet why would he swap it out for an RB? Seriously my RB20 is pretty quick i just hate the bottem end power…first gear is useless. Will rip on any 350 and lighly modded SR’s

but my ka-t setup…i pm’d you on 780…

ya stock ka’s pop mybuilt one will take everything you throw at it!!!