Best undercoating??

Not thick at all … It did expand when you sprayed it on but wasnt like some of the other types that have alot of volume to them.

that sounds like the kind they used to do in my grandfathers time in Russia. it was old oil and things like axle grease spread around the undercarriage and fender wells and then a lengthy drive thru dust and sand to “seal” and harden it.

yea, i realize that, but the reason I want to do this is preventative. theres no rust on the car in question, so i’d like prevent or prolongue its formation for as long as possible.

ah, so its closer to paint, i see. i’d really want to get ahold of whatever audi used on my car. its a pretty thick layer of rubber. but, i was thinking spray cans of truck bedliner or something close to it will work.

kinda like gritty paint almost .

Do you remember how many cans you needed to cover your car?

about 5

that sounds promising :slight_smile: how is it around the exhaust?

i’m not working there anymore. i do know of a company that does this type of work, he’s on railroad ave in colonie. let me see if i can get his number for you and you can bring it to him, he does a great job

458-8940, call and talk to Dick Kendall. i’m not 100% sure he does work outside from dealers only, but he might

thick oil or chainsaw bar oil works great, I use gas to cut it and spray through a sandblasting gun. When the gas evaporates it leaves behind the oil that has seeped into all the seams and nooks, something that traditional undercoating sucks at.

i understand what your tryin to do . honestly keeping the car clean and doin undercarige washes will do better by it than undercoating at this stage

The body panels/doors will probably rot out before the undercarriage, anyway. vot vot.

Oh, I’m washing it after each salting, that’s for sure, but I’m a paranoid bastard, so I’d rather do that plus the washes. I don’t buy and sell cars 3 times a year, I keep em as long as I can. So I want to do this now to make it last that much longer. Plus I’m going to get some clear vinyl and put that on some key areas of the car, to help prevent rock chips. I’m trying to do preventative things now, so I don’t have to do repairs as much, as often or as soon as most.

My old car was driven in 19 consecutive winters in this area and was never undercoated. It’s a waste of money.

cant hurt :slight_smile:

I want to do undercoating in my F-bod wheel wells just to soak up some road noise… but you have an Audi and that’s probably not the case for you. I have used the 3M stuff before. Can be found at auto body supply stores or sometimes even NAPA. Rust is like fire… It likes to start on edges. You rarely see rust in the middle of a panel without a flaw in the finish to facilitate it. The pinch welds and seams at the rockers, doors, and body panels are usually the first to rust. Check these areas carefully. If you find rust, remove the loose stuff and hit it with some POR-15. Your car is black anyway. If need be than go over the POR-15 with touch up paint while it is still tacky.

Yea, road noise would be nice to lower as well, I didn’t think of that one. My Audi is nicely undercoated with rubber and has lots of aluminum and galvanics around it. That’s not the car I’m concerned about.