Underbody Coating.

Winter is coming soon, and it’s time for some of you to break out the winter beaters. For others, it’s simply switching tires, giving it one more good thick coat of wax, and maybe coating the underbody.

Now, my question :

wtf do you coat it with?

Rust Stop > *

word

at schmitt collition

What is Rust stop composed of? And how is it applied?

On a semi-related note :

When my oil filter came loose on the highway and oil spurted all over the driver’s side undercarriage of my car, I noticed a considerable less amount of “oxidation” on the metal. lol

[left]

Sounds like the old farmer rust stop. I believe its a mix of kerosene and oil sprayed over their machinery when its being stored for the winter. Works wonders.

Are you thinking of taking your car someplace to have the undercoating done or doing it yourself?[/left]

DUPLICOLOR Rubberized Under Coat

just like when You machine a part that’s not going to be used for a little while, You give it a light coat of oil to “seal” the surfaces from oxidation. :tup:

:word:

or dip it in wax/rubber stuff.

its sprayed under the car, and inside the panels. its a bunch of rust prohibitors (is that even a word?), and has the consistency of vegetable oil.

I don’t see how that would stay on the car all winter.

you can buy 3M rubberized undercoating in spray cans and do it yourself, just wear a facemask cause that shit dont come off unless you wash in gasoline

^^ Word. It’s sticky as hell.

All Z’s came coated with black, rubberized undercoating from the factory, but I re-sprayed my NA Z a few years ago to get some spots that had rubbed off. Seeing as my NA Z was over 15 years old with no rot where this was applied, I’d say this stuff does the job :tup:

it does, i have no idea how (im not a rocket surgen) but when i worked there doing that shit it would last a year. you will need to go back and have it redone ever year.

if you have a brand new car and do it every year they guaranty that it will never rust.

If you plan on keeping the car a while Rustop is the only choice. Its a heavy mix of oils that is sprayed INSIDE frame rails, on unibody seams, in the bottom of door and quarter panels, and all along the bottom of the chassis.

The best feature on this stuff is if SEEPS… it will work its way into every joint and unibody seam. Rubberized undercoating is garbage out here in wester NY. All it does is cover the outer surface of panels. Rust starts inside panels and especially at seams. Seams trap salt and water and that mixture is what becomes acidic, etches through the primer and starts destroying the metal. The coats and fills seams not allowing water any space to get in there.

I have seen this applied on daily driver pickups that have been through several buffalo winters. No rust anywhere. Its not the prettiest approach but its the only one that works 100%.

yea, after getting your car done, dont park in the driveway for a couple days. park on the lawn… the shit will drip, but wont kill the grass. also ask for a couple bottles of rust stop remover; that shit it the BEST driveway stain remover on the planet.

My boss is on his 4th year of going to schmits for their rust-stop stuff. the only drawback i can see from the stuff is its Way Messy… if you like to do some tinkering with the underside of your car from time to time… your gonna come out like wile Coyote after a bad ACME TNT mishap. coating your body pannels and issides of doors is cool but in the middle of the summer the stuff still drips from his door seams. but a Drippy oily car is much better than a swiss cheese rear quarter seam.

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:OSGALw0FQY0J:www.popartuk.com/g/l/lgpp0640.jpg > http://1970chevelle.net/Exterior/rusty_fender.JPG

a quick word of advice: if you spray anything like a rubberized coating over already corroded areas, you will trap all the contaminants that are already there onto the metal, giving them only one way out: through the metal itself. :fyi:

I like a heavy-duty chain oil hand rubbed into problem spots. if the car is new or pretty rust free, go with the undercoats.

-edit- and what is that we are looking at above? looks like mopar rot here.

i rust-stopped last year, and just had it done at the end of sept at schmidt’s

djnick wasn’t kidding, my car looked fine after winter. and the dripping… meh, it’s not that bad. it was worth every cent and if i were staying up here any longer, i’d do it every year, hands down.

thanks again nick :slight_smile:

Exactly

How much does it cost, relatively? (Schmitts)