Underbody rust prevention

So my Subaru has a very clean underbody. Virtually no rust, and most of the suspension still has the factory black paint on them.

I want this car to last and know how rough the salt is on cars around here.

Do the underbody treatments actually work? What is everyones recommendation of where to go and what type to get? Or should I just wash it regularily and get a good underside wash at least once a week.

I know it’s the middle of summer, but I want to prepare for the upcoming winter.

my brother had it done to his 02’ ranger and i must say it had me convinced. they sealed all the insides of the doors and sprayed the whole underside of the truck. he got it done for a rediculously cheap price too, it was some place on transit. he now lives in nc so his truck is still spotless.

rustop at schmidts every fall ftw!

Yeah, though I have never had it down, i’ve heard schmidts does a great job with the rustop. I actually think my parents have it done on the silverado? Hmmm, what does it cost?

BTW I want to see your subie sometime, sounds like a nice ride even though it is an outback.

schmidts rust stop. 100 bux a year or so. but makes a dd not rust.

if you can get over the OILy mess it makes of your underside. and your bottom door edges.

well worth it. to keep the rust at bay.

I think thats the reason my Honda has survived in Buffalo since '83. I’m going to have it done this winter.

I agree! Rustop FTMFW

Not a bad investment to keep your car rust free.

FTMFW is the general consensus here?

Any naysayer or anyone with negative feedback on the topic?

There is a small amount of rust on the inside of the lower door sills (prone and common spot on Subarus) By doing the treatment, would I run the risk of accellerating the rust in that area? Or would it help and actually slow the process.

It would help slow the process, definately. Go the Schmidts and talk to someone there. They are really helpful.

i will be taking my new car there for sure! (schmidts)

The place you guys are referring to is Schmidts on Transit at Broadway right?

There are a couple locations. You should be able to have the service performed at any of them. I’ve been to the one on Lake in Hamburg.

There is an electronic device that prevents rust.
This same method is used on ships at sea.
I am not sure what it costs.
I’m sure google will have the answer.

http://www.corrosion-doctors.org/Car/car-rust-inhibitor.htm

The technique they are actually trying to sell you under various names is called good old honest cathodic protection (CP), a technique that has been used with success to protect against corrosion on many structures and systems including sea going ships, buried pipelines, and even reinforced concrete. However, there is an area where the technique has no chance to work … the protection of cars.

IT WILL slow the process. but not stop it once it has begun.

as long as you dont plan on working anywhere near the underside of the car in the future… i would suggest it. If i ever bought a new car i woudl get it at day one. but the OILY mess it makes for simple stuff like installing a trailer hitch & changeing an exaust. makes it a HUGE PITA unless you like to look like a diesel mechanic.

that rust oily treatment shit makes a huge mess tho. just ask 93dx–hatch what he went through cleaning it off

move to phoenix.

HAH.

Not happening.

Rustop F T M F W.

my gf’s 94 t-bird has had it 3yrs in a row… underbody’s flawless. You can take a look at it sometime if you want. It’s going to get it one last winter, then she’s moving down with me so we don’t have to worry about this shit anymore :slight_smile:

I take it to the one on Sheridan near Millersport. They sometimes post up a coupon on the Schmidt’s website for it, $10 off if you do it in October.

:tup:

also previously endorsed by DJNickthemix too, i figured if it was good enough for him…

I’m thinking about having it done for my car this winter. I am planning on doing some suspension work next summer though, so what’s the consensus. Is having an oily mess on the underbody worth working through for the sake of preventing rust? I think it’s probably definitely worth it. Just wanted to see what others have to say. And I’m not even sure if having it done would create any mess in the suspension.