Best undercoating??

I’m on the lookout for some undercoating. I think that the rubberized would be best. It’d have some spring to it and would help deter rocks and such hitting actual metal on the underside of a car. Do you guys know of an excellent brand that comes in aerosol cans that doesn’t require something special to apply or dry other than the car being in the air and just some reasonable dry time? Advice is much appreciated, as always! :slight_smile:

Ive used paintable undercoat from Napa several times and its pretty good. Since its paintable it dries and doesnt rub/wipe off.

Is it a fairly thick product? I’m definitely looking for something that can end up a solid 2mm+ after 1-2 coats. I dont care if its paintable or if it comes in white, black or whatever. I just need a solid product to help prevent corrosion. Finish is not a concern, but i’d prefer a largely smooth finish on it. I’m trying to locate something similar to what they put on rocker panels at the factory on cars.

Its not super thick but does cover stuff pretty good.
I think you want chip guard then.
You can buy that in a spray can and it sprays on clear. Autobody of Albany/Schenectady sells it.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/autobodydepot/images/SEM39793.jpg

http://www.permatex.com/products/automotive/specialized_maintenance_repair/body_interior_trim/auto_Permatex_Heavy_Duty_Rubberized_Undercoating.htm This is what I was thinking of getting. Something else I was wondering is the heat resistance of these products. I wanted to find out how they fare in the long run somewhat close to exhaust pipes and such. My car is turbo and eventhough I dont race it or do anything close to it(even when I get into it to accelerate) I am still somewhat concerned about long term durability. I wanted to bring this up onto the firewall somewhat, as well. I wanted to cover hot and moving parts in newspaper and masking tape and just HOSE everything else on the underside. I should call some manufacturers and ask them about it, but I doubt they work on saturdays. I figured I’d ask, maybe somebody on here knows. Thanks for the info so far though Paul. :slight_smile: I was also thinking about 3M products, because they tend to produce a lot of things similar to this product or maybe even something industrial like products from Teflon, cuz you never really know. There might be something that CAT or Hyundai or Komatsu or something use on their products that costs close to the normal store stuff, but works WAY better, ya know?

Upol GraviTex. Stuf is tougher than rhino liner.

Let me put it this way. Applied to an unprepped 2 liter soda bottle(no sanding or degreasing) the product bonded so well to the plastic that when we tried to chip it away by peeling it off, it ripped the plastic soda bottle.

we used upol at the bodyshop, best stuff out there, only problem is that it doesn’t come in aerosol cans, you would need compressed air and a special spray gun

great stuff tho

I used 3M on the Maxima. Put like 5 coats on over the course of a day. Sold it like 2 years later and the underbody still looked mostly like this:

http://www.ilyakol.com/Maxima/Garage/Underbody2.jpg

Della in Queensbury (where I bought my truck) does rubber undercoating as a dealer option to new vehicles you buy off the lot. The last two trucks, including the one I have now, have both been undercoated with their spray when I bought them. It works great, kills a little more road noise, and keeps rocks and gravel from blasting the fender wells and underbody. They do a neat job, no overspray anywhere.

Must be the way they spray it because Fuccillo got it all over the plastic bumpers and parts of my old Elantra that werent supposed to be undercoated and Team Goewey Dodge sprayed it on my brother’s Ram and it flaked off in huge chunks. Both were brand new vehicles.

is it possible for me to bring in a vehicle and have it done?

POR-15

Could do the shit i covered my car with . Its duplicolor truck bed liner . 10.00 a can . So far its been pretty solid.

i thought that was paint?

how thick did it turn out to be?

paging laduke

Why are we undercoating the car in the first place?

Because I dont want it rusting out

canadian undercoating is best.

used motor oil + dusty road = undercoated

ya do realize that once a car is drivin in snow once in its lifetime , undercoating isnt gonna help . all it does at that point is just seal the rust in so it rots inside out

:thumbup