winterizing - oil spray

So last year i think it was, we had a thread going about winterizing our cars and one topic that caught my attention was the different types of oil spray.

How some companies sprayed oil on, and it dripped off, washed off, while some applied a sticky tar like oil coating which didn’t come off.

My 240 has that said tar like oil coating and its probably the reason it has no rust.

With that said, I am looking to coat my daily driver, and am looking for a company that does this type of oil coating. Anyone know of any shops that do this type of oil coating? Particularly in or around Vaughan.

i used corrosion-free rustproofing @ Robinson Automotive.

looked into it after Bing suggested it couple months ago and seemed like the cleanest, least harmful method. its available at Canadian Tire, but I paid the extra $40 and went to Robinson because i believe they would have done a cleaner/better job with the whole application process. service was great and Mike and Kirk seemed very honest and legit. would definitely recommend. they gave me a tour around the shop, really clean and well organized.

lowered/slammed cars may have an additional cost as they take their time to get it on the hoist without damaging anything, but as i said, they were honest in pricing / time.

ill let you guys know how it holds up after the winter. supposedly it leaves a thin layer of gel-like substance that may be washed off with soap + high pressure water, so i was warned against spraying my underbody while washing my car, but the layer is supposed to last over the whole winter season under normal abuse. after i wash it off in the spring ill see how everything looks under there, and hopefully my coils wont be seized :slight_smile:

the tar stuff are only good for 2,3 winters at most, then they get small holes and cracks as a result salt and water get in and rust out the metal.
the gooy stuff are good but they are messsssyy i mean really messy and they get small stones and salt and shit inside them and when u work under ur car its awful u get so sticky and everything u tuch gets gooy cz ur hands get gooy and its just terrible. and removing them is not as easy as u might think, u still got to heat them then wipe off but its still easier than the tar stuff.
if i had a car that i cared about and wnated to drive in winter, would go with tar stuff and re-apply every few years.

---------- Post added at 05:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:59 PM ----------

and wash under ur car before applying either product since the salt and dirt stuck to bottom of car will get trapped under the applied layer and rust shit out

My Dad sprays his own stuff in the garage. I’ll have to ask him what product he uses. All I know is my civic still looks brand new underneath.

this is for a dd, i don’t want to remove it. Its not a 240. I want that stuff on their permanently, so i never get rust. I plan on doing it every year or two years.

So what is a good place for this tar like rust coating?

The oil or wax based coating isn’t that hard to remove with a pressure washer

I use krown personally, and I do it every year.

best to do it from the inside out (interior removed) in the summer so the heat can help the shit creep into the seams…

yea getting krown.

Its a brand new car, so getting the interior removed is just … lol

Krown does drip but seems via online research the best way to go.

Corrosion free looks terrible on white cars, and i’ve heard it can be washed off. While Ziebart can be washed off as well.

Krown, corrosion free and ziebart are the big three. So they have to be doing something right.

http://www.americangrocery.co.uk/ekmps/shops/vmadhu/images/pam-s-original-cooking-spray-6oz-859-p.jpg

^^LOLLL

I can picture an ad saying " All the benefits of rust prevention without the added calories"

And it’s non-stick.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/3/AutoFluidsChemicals/LubricantsPenetrants/PRDOVR~0477985P/Rust+Cure+Formula+3000.jsp?locale=en

haha. maybe if i owned a rust box. ahah.

i heard wax based spray is thinner an less sticky and wont seep out between the panels of your car after u wash it

Commercial Oil sells a awesome product, and isnt shit like krown. Harmit, let me know when you are around and I can introduce you to a friend who uses it. Its awesome.

my suggestion is…

get the tar like material.

if you go to krown…DO NOT LET THEM DRILL HOLES IN YOUR CAR…and spray oil inside it. because the holes they drill the plug it up…and moise gets trapped between…and it WILL rust…i noticed it this year when my friend sprayed my car…when he took the plugs off there were surface rust on the door plugs, chassis plugs. etc. i really regret letting them drill into my car…fuck

other than that. cool thread!

smart man.

i don’t know the details but during my time at CARSTAR one of my buddies was tasked with doing the research into what the overall best rust proofing solution was so that we could equip some of our locations to provide the service.

he is a bright dude and after a few months of research and meeting with the various companies he determined that Corrision Free was far and away the best product / service to be selling and to be applying to one’s car. i trust his judgement and only use this kind of rust proofing now. take that for what its worth.