Best wax for a car without clearcoat? (yet another detailing thread)

My MR2 doesn’t have clearcoat.

I need to buy some new wax. Any of you detailing gurus have a recomendation on the best wax to use for a clearcoat-less car?

yeah, i need to know this too. actually.

Duragloss has a wax for non clearcoated paint. In my experience it doesn’t matter much. Wax that is safe for clear coated paint is also safe for non-clear coated paint.

Duragloss:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/153/420466870_178ed1a5a3.jpg

edit: they do not. They do have one that’s a cleaner wax. I very much like it for just a wax, but I’ve never used it on single staged paint. All the cars that I’ve detailed that were single stage paint were also full details, so I really can’t say the wax was very important (ergo, if my advice is entirely practical). :slight_smile:

So you’re sayiiinggggg Duragloss is good?

I kind of got a little lost in the second half of your post.

The best wax by far is NXT Tech wax, By Maguiars. Get the bottle, not the can, it comes off easier in the liquid form.

yes duragloss will work great on a non-cleared car, i believe u can get it at carquest IIRC

By full detail I mean the car needed claying and polishing, so your results with Duragloss may vary if you aren’t going to be preparing the paint as much. This holds true with any wax I recommend.

Gotcha Corey.

What’s the pricing on Duragloss?

Also, how does it compare to Gold Class in your opinion? I just put a coat of Gold Class on Sunday night and was very happy with how it looked. Also, compared to the NXT I hear lots of people raving about?

PS - How often would you recommend waxing? I’ve never really known how much to hand wax.

New Gold Class? The new Gold Class is nice. The old stuff is difficult to use. They changed it about two years ago.

NXT is difficult to use and not that great in my opinion. It was overly hyped by Meguiars. I remember Meguiars internet PR guy “Mike Phillips” showing a picture of a Civic’s CF hood with a ton of swirls, and then after using NXT the panel didn’t have as intense of swirls. “Lab sample D.” When I used NXT I certainly didn’t experience such a miraculous epiphany. Instead of promoting it as a good looking wax, they promoted it as though Jesus himself turned chocolate chip cookie batter into something that tastes even better. As though that could ever happen. It’s not very durable, either. There are better choices.

Meguiars ColorX is a nice wax, too. It’s good for slight haze (which you may get with single staged paint, but it’s normally easily buffed back to a shine). It’s a cleaner wax with a stress on cleaning. I sometimes use it as an intermittent step between polishing and (non-synthetic) waxes. I would always top it with something else. It’s not very durable.

I think people expect way to much out of wax.

Duragloss is about $15 I think. :slight_smile: If you’re happy with GC then I don’t know if I would bother. It’s not going to look very different. I don’t know what you’re looking for? Is your paint in good condition already?

Well, my paint is original 1991 paint. Lol. The plastic spoiler was very oxidized but I used Meguiars Plastix on it Sunday and it looks great now. Pissed I didn’t take before and after photos.

Overall, the paint wasn’t looking too wonderful Sunday afternoon. But I waxed with Gold Class (it was an older bottle) Sunday night and it made it look quite good IMO. I was very happy with it. However I used the last of the Gold Class wax and need to buy new wax, so I was wondering if I should look into a different wax, or if I should stick with Gold Class.

How often do you recommend I wax it as well? I read somewhere a synthetic wax will last a few months. Does that hold true even on a single-stage paint? What type of waxing interval do you recommend?