Best way to completely restore a car. Would you cut up a show car to do it?

As some of you may have remember I was finally able to purchase back my iroc i had in HS after 15yrs of trying. Looking to start a complete frame-off resto hopefully by next spring. My goal is to have the car LOOK completely stock but be a 9-10 sec car. The car is a 24yr old car and like most 24yr old cars that were never stored properly pretty much nothing on the car is perfect anymore meaning I have to replace or repair EVERYTHING if I want it perfect. A Low mile(under 15k) 85-87 Iroc on Ebay brings about 10K and every part on it should be perfect. what I’m thinking of doing is finding a red on black one and just taking the parts off. I still need to get the car down to the frame and quarters to take to the body shop.
Before everyone says how stupid it is to take apart another car or just get one just like it who will know, I will and this is a car that I would never consider selling no matter the price and will be giving to my son one day.
I know a set of NOS wheels will bring $1k without tires alone.
Thoughts and yes I know I will have 30K plus into the car.

Why not just swap motor and whatnot into show car?

So you’re saying you have an emotional attachment to this car and regardless of the “show” car you purchase for parts, you’re hearts with the one you had back in highschool…?

IROC’s are awesome! I had a red one back in the day, until some guys stole it and burned it to the ground, lol. The bodywork and paint work could easily run you $15k but it will look 10x better than it did when new. If you really want to run that fast then obviously the 305TPI ain’t gonna cut it, lol. I would do a big-block. A 496 would be relatively cheap to do. Don’t forget to upgrade the rear end ($2K) and the tranny and driveshaft etc, etc. There’s a company that makes 20" replica IROC wheels in polished that look amazing. They are probably cheaper than a mint original set too.

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/norm/are-6908861_w_m.jpg

Post up a pic of the car from when you had it back in the day!

LOL yeah it is the emotional is huge even though it’s still just a car. can’t just swap engine, if I was going to do that I would just swap vins. Besides engine is only 305TPI (it’s an 86).
My thoughts of this time is to do a LS7 swap into it. Can’t use the 20" chromes tho as That’s not what it used to look like. Will have a set of widened 16" Iroc wheels on it. Yes it will have my purple and white class of 92 tassel and poison in the Alpine CD player too!!!

Now the big question, will it have 18-year old pussy in it, or chicks that were 18 in round one and are now 35? :stuck_out_tongue:

i have no problem cutting up a show car. hell i would take a mint, pristene condition completely factory car and chop, section, shave, tub etc to it. i hate rust and its alot easier to work with a car that dosent have any or isnt already patched up. if my s10 wasent from alabama then i wouldnt have dumped 20k into it when i had only paid 1700 for it.

Wifey of 15 yrs will be in the pass seat.

I wouldn’t do it that way; prob be more $$ in the long run then just buying new body panels. Buying and hanging new panels in the realm of the restoration you’re talking about is nothing. Spend the $$ and get new sheetmetal; it’s almost all available in the aftermarket now.

You’re going to have to paint it anyways!

Its really more about the interior pcs and the extras. Taillights glass etc. add up every piece I will need and will be alot. Thrte is actually a maroon z on cl with alot of extras that im thinking about getting and stripping then parting the rest.

That’s fair then, I thought you were mostly talking sheetmetal. If you need good interior/oddballs then yea, grabbing a car like what you’re thinking is a smart idea.

Here’s mine from back in the day, '91 or so:

---------- Post added at 02:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:54 PM ----------

WOW, look what I just found on racingjunk:

http://www.racingjunk.com/category/1472/Camaro/post/1950824/1987-CHEVY-CAMARO-IROC-Z-355ci.html

$5500, local too

http://static.racingjunk.com/63/ui/9/06/18351069-184-1987-CHEVY-CAMARO-IROCZ-355ci.jpg

---------- Post added at 02:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:56 PM ----------

WOW, look what I just found on racingjunk:

http://www.racingjunk.com/category/1472/Camaro/post/1950824/1987-CHEVY-CAMARO-IROC-Z-355ci.html

$5500, local too

http://static.racingjunk.com/63/ui/9/06/18351069-184-1987-CHEVY-CAMARO-IROCZ-355ci.jpg

dew it!!

LOL thats the one I’m looking at. Grab all the suspension and stuff off it then turn around and sell for a little less.

I would build a forged ls3 for the car. The Ls7’s sleeves have a step that they are pressed into, which develops a stress point on the sleeve. This stress point in time will crack the sleeve. So if you want 9s or 10s you’ll be talking at least a heads cam ls7, which may crack the sleeve if beat on enough.

You can have a built LS3 stroker 418 for ~10K new and it would be killer. I’d say buy a ls3 drop out with a 6 speed auto and swap it into the car, with a large stall and a cam you might run 10s. Then if you want to rebuild it forged and stroked you could later.

You should buy that craiglist/race junk car as you said, strip it down and take everything you need, swap your older parts onto it and still sell it for ~2500.

but the key is dont snooze on the racing junk car, bring cash and get to work!

Been on Cl for a month or so for 6K. just lowered to 5500. Was going to offer 4cash and see if that went anywhere

YearOne.com probably has everything you would want/need if buying a parts car doesn’t work out.