New to the site, new to 240s... lots of questions

As you can all tell by my post count and registration date, I’m brand spanking new here. I don’t own a 240… yet. I’m the proud papa of an '03 Civic SiR, and although I love the car very much, I’m too much of a wrenching greenhorn to risk my car trying to mod it up too much (though I have done interior work, and some basic bolt-on/suspension crap myself).

Anyhow, long story short, I have the opportunity to pick up a '91 240 fastback for under 1000 dollars. I realize this car will probably need a LOT of work, but that’s what I want. I want a chance to take a car apart and put things back together without fear of fucking it up (only way to learn!). Of course I plan on having help along the way, but at least now I’ll be able to really improve my skills. The only remaining concern I have is the frame itself. I hear a lot of things about rusting framerails, so that concerns me.

What I want to know is, how much rust is acceptable in terms of the car’s structural integrity, and how much money does it cost to have the body and frame totally redone?

Thanks!

if you can poke a hole thru any rust on the car, part it.

^^^

Not exactelly…

Sheet Metel can be replaced, Strip the car down and see what needs to be cut out and replaced!

BUT if the frame has holes in it, find another car and start on it!

FYI there are plenty of 240’s for around 1G that have a solid chassis and won’t give you to many surprises!

i have a coupe that has body damage…no rust tho.

$1000 and its yours.

Brock

remove the seats/carpets, if you can see ground expect costly repairs

Now that’s what I’m talking about! Thanks for the tip. I only hope potential sellers will let me take things apart to get a good look. I’m really, REALLY getting giddy about owning a 240 now. :smiley:

Thanks to everyone else for the suggestions, too!