Frame repair question

Hey guys,
I’m looking at getting another 240sx, looks good but will need a patch on the frame. Same 5" patch on both sides.
Anyone have a rough idea of what this would cost to have done?

Thanks [ATTACH=CONFIG]32216[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]32216[/ATTACH]

Is that near the back wheel? prob 2-400 depending on how bad it is. Looks like a hammer would open up a much bigger hole.

That looks pretty damn bad, but I am pretty sure centreline could redo the whole frame front to back for most 240 owners based on the work I’ve seen them do. You should probably give them a call.

It’s right at the very front of the frame rails.

15$ spray foam…cut foam with knife to look like frame rail…cover with tar

O yeah, and to make it handle even better don’t forget CUSCO sticker on the windshield.:mpd:

That will he the last resort. Haha!

If you only need it to hold together for a year or so then yes, otherwise this will speed up the rot …

try filling it up with marshmallows and lawn clippings… also a terrible idea…

go home, hack…

let me add an addition…you need to have well aged tar…crack the lid and leave it open for a year…then slap it on there…tar is like a fine wine…

Fixed for you nelly

edit
Cant believe I found this, But who can remember this golden oldie
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c285/hopele_ss/motivator2834686.jpg

^What the hell is that… man… That’s just sad…

Instead of taking care of the cars and keeping them long-term, most 240 owners trash one 240 after another until well… there won’t be any single one left.

I can count on one hand how many 240 owners I’ve seen actually take their car to a reputable shop to get a proper frame rebuild… everyone seems to botch the shit out of the frame/whole car then simply throw the car away… and of course it’s gonna rot more if it’s assed up… sigh…

Don’t fuck up another 240… take it to like centreline and get er done…

Generally speaking… we do have quite a few reputable welders in around the GTA… so why the botch ups?

That might be the first true thing I have heard you say Mr. 11 thousand dollar rusted out frame. I love how this guy spends 25 grand on shocks but cant afford to get his own rusty frame fixed.

To the OP, If you can patch it and its solid do it. But those pictures he showed you is a botched up track car not a factory re-build. Although that might be alright for a drift missile its nothing you want to tackle for a street car.

If it can be fixed simply and back to OEM specs, do it.
if it needs a complete re-build then I would keep it as a project/find another.

Doing all that chassis work seriously risks pulling the car out of alignment. often times its not even worth doing.

Why are you letting your chassis get damaged by pro-longed rust if you have this knowledge?

• Updated - - -

Never liked the idea of a patched frame or any other structural point on a unibody.
Its never going to be as rigid or act/flex like the car was meant to. Ok for drift, not suitable for a grip car imo.
Most seem to be ok with it, but we live in onterrible, beggars can’t be choosers.

I’ve had my 240 since 2006, unlike most owners on here who have trashed several 240s in a row, I’ve stuck to mine and stuck to my word that I would keep it from day one long-term. I only invested in quality parts and intended to keep it long-term with the intent to build it properly and keep it to old age. For most owners here, it was a car they would fuck around in. Whatever flaw the car has is manageable, fixable and does not mean it should be trashed. I just prioritise as to what I want done how and when.

I intended to redo the whole car front to back tubed, with a modular design, dsuz fastners for all the panels, but someone fucked me over that was suppose to do the work. Simple as that. I intended to go to centreline to get the work done afterwards and already spoke with them, but as I’m not as focused as I was on the car before, I have debated to sell it to someone who can appreciate the direction i was taking the car in.

If I keep it, I may not go all out as I wanted to before, but I will still get things done properly and not ‘trash’ the car to a junkyard.

I prioritise with goals and patience. I rather leave an outside panel to look like ass, than to buy a piece of shit replacement covered in stickers. Likewise with frames, I rather get it cut and done properly than fill it with fiberglass and other garbage and call it ‘fixed’. Thankfully my frames are not fucked like most 240s on here. My front end frame/rad support however is. Not that much work in that in comparison. Down south front ends get chopped up and redone all the time.

That about sums up the majority of s chassis owners feeling towards it. For the price of a “full frame rebuild” you could buy JDM or a 350z something nice and new.

As far as a-ahmad is concerned… Ford Taurus brakes. /End

I owned my 240 for like 7 years i had to do a lot of work on it.

I also sell frame rail patches for 65 bucks per side. They are structural and also designed to be a lift point. nice thing is you don’t need the old rails so you are better off to cut (or hammer…) the old ones out. check out my thread on frame rail patches. Good luck man!

http://www.son240sx.org/showthread.php?231815-frame-rail-patchs-65-Each&highlight=frame+rails

nobody buy his car, I wanna see this finished and this direction he’s taking it!

those frame repair patches look good. That’s good quality work. I like it, same as OE thickness?

I made a few of those to patch frames before, I also had an front 1/3 frame rail from Nissan once :wink:

I can tell you what direction his cars going in, the direction of the scrap yard on the back of a tow truck to be made into rail road ties.

Clutchfire, do you also offer to install those pieces?

I think he mentioned before that he would install.