ready to start sr 240 project..

so after a coupl yrs of saving im ready to start my 240 project.

im checkin out a 89 240 right now for 1000. has over 300k, engine is messed but i plan to do a swap soon so i wont be driving it around until its fixed up and has an sr.

but im just concerned as to whether it is worth it. it has pretty bad rust on the back driver quarter panel near the bottom, some rust on the back passanger quarter panel, under the rear spoiler and other typical 240 rust spots.

so i guess what im asking is, what else should i look for before purchasing and around how much will it cost to fix all the rust decently. and any recommended places would be appreciated.

thanks in advance guys

Save yourself the headaches and buy a rust free car. If its that rusty already, the frame rust will be next if it hasnt started already.

Werd. Remember the golden rule: “you get what you pay for”. Save up some more, and get yourself a solid car. Like Deathby240 said, it will save you a lot of headaches in the long run.

Definately. If you can’t do bodywork yourself, you’ll pay out whatever you save on buying the cheaper car to have the body repaired, and it’s a hell of a lot more aggravation.

Find a NICE car with mechanical trouble, that’s the one to buy. Of course it’ll cost more, but isn’t your time valuable?

yea i guess thats true. i might bring the car into a body shop and get an estimate maybe but i think the underneath of the car might be shit hah then i prob wont get it…

if its just the rear quarter panels and the trunk spoiler it wont be that bad right?.. i thnk someone was selling both new quarter panels on here for 1000.

thanks for the advance though guys

yeah you definately want a rust free car, if you buy one with rust your going to end up spending all your money gitting that fixed…and remember the panels are a grand then theres the labour paint and whatnot and before you know it you have an 89 240sx with over 300k that cost you at least 5 grand with labour and paint (if your lucky).
initial cost of car: 1000
quarter panels: 1000
piant and body work to get this done: 3000 (if your lucky)
and its still not running…

If its got rust DONT BUY IT. Its better to spend a bit more now and have a decent car, especially since your gonnna sink moey into it.

yea i went to check it out again, this time during the day, and took some pics… rust is pretty bad… aint gonna get it

http://www.webpost.net/ty/TypeX/DSC01289.JPG
http://www.webpost.net/ty/TypeX/DSC01298.JPG
http://www.webpost.net/ty/TypeX/DSC01283.JPG

HOly shit. Ya, don’t even look at that man. That is some of the worst rust I’ve ever seen on a 240.

Save some more coin for a better condition car.

Ii would say no. Take a srewdriver and poke at the frame rails under the car and see if you can make a hole. I bet there are already some :rolleyes:

Run away from that car as fast as you can!! :axe:

Ehhh…those are speed holes. They make the car go faster. :smiley:

If you can get that car for 500 bucks and know where to get cheap body panels, then go for it. Otherwise, it just isn’t worth it.

i got a quote for labour to replace both quater panels. OEM is the only way to go and the labour is around 2500.

OUCH, dude. That sucks!

don’t worry i’m getting it cut out and replaced that way. around 650 total. 1000 to take out the dings and touch it all up. 3500 to shave spoiler, antenna, the 'line" a 240 has and paint and put on the facotry kit and a full respray. Just sooo many options.

yea i heard the rear quarter panels you need to weld on too right… damn…

well im gonna check out another 240 tommorow for 2000, hopefully this one will cleaner hah

you need to take most of the rear body off to get at them. its the labour thats is the expensive part. and yes they are welded. I looked for over 4 months for my car and it is still not in perfect shape.

I have 2 BRAND NEW rear quarter panels for a S13 hatchback if you need them. Asking $900 which is alot less then what the dealership sells them for. These were never used. I bought them new but got a quote from the body shop and now I don’t need them.

Rear windows have to come out, the rivets have to be punched out, they have to be cut as close to the door frame as possible, etc. Yes, it’s very big work.

roccafella :

Have you looked into CA18DET swaps at all ?!