best way to purchase an item via long distance

I was browsing the craigslist local adds (buffalo and rochester) and came across a brand new 2nd gen 16gig I touch for 170$ listed in blo.

I emailed the person assuming spam, and when i got a prompt response (30 min) i was sure it was. Well then i emailed back asking payment method, condition, and if she could call me about it…

well turns out a friend listed the product for her (shes located in woodstock indiana). she bought it for her son and he wanted something else apparently… never opened, never used. she even said she would call me tomorrow (after i requested it) to speak about it.

Now im still very skeptical, but…
a) supposing this is for real (and if it is its an insane deal) what is the safest way for me to purchase this: money order, paypal (which i would not prefer), ect… I want to protect myself and give myself recourse should this be bull shit

b) does this even sound legit? she answered my questions in turn, each addressing specifics of my emails. Then again, i make online purchases so infrequently i have no clue. on top of that, i have NEVER bought an item like this and had it shipped.

I want to incur the least risk possible. I know alot of you guys buy online, so what would be your suggestion?

is it that good of a deal?

Don’t buy it unless you can see it and touch it before you buy off of craigslist. At least with eBay you have the ability to be protected by them. So many people get caught in these. Even calling is BS. I can call you right now and show any number on the display of your phone.

Also use your logic. This is a super low price on a 2nd gen iPod Touch. If it was legit, someone would have picked it up locally. She would not need to post it on a city 8 hours away.

yeah thats what i was thinking but like i said i do this so infrequently, that i figured i would run it by you… haha plus who are you kidding your looking for the add right now for yourself as we speak!! lol

Paypal w/ credit card. Charge back protection :tup: