Does this sound like bs

I am selling an item on craigslist and got this responce from somebody interested in it.I am thinking its a scam but would like other peoples opinions.
Here is what he responded

His first email
Is it available ??

I responed with yes.

Then his 2nd email.
Hello,
Thanks for the quick response… Am satisfied with the price and
condition of the item. I will like to make an outright purchase of the
item, so i will like to proceed in instructing my bank to issue out a
Certified Check or Cashier check, to you and upon the confirmation and
clearance of payment my Mover will come for the pick-up at your
location. due to the project i am doing outside the state.Try to
update me whenever you get the payment and I will contact my Moving
Company to come for the picking up on my behalf. Pls let me have the
following information details so that the payment can be mail out
asap. let me read from you today.

(1) Your full name to be on the check.

(2) Your postal address.

(3) Your phone number both land and mobile.

(4) Your postal code.

Thanks.

Jeff Williams.

sounds like a scam to me, here in the US we call phones “home and cell” not “land and mobile”

seems pretty legit to me
i would call bs if he was looking to get the item before pay or whatever
but he said he will send u money first then contact his shipper
its worth a shot
you really cant lose
atleast how it seems to me

That seems a bit fake. Look at it this way. It follows the basic lines of the usual CL scam. Granted he isnt buying it for his son COzmo but you know what i mean. Also never accept a cashiers cheque as a form of payment for anything you sell online. If its your neighbor or whatever ya maybe, but never online. There are way too many way to screw people like that.

moved to OT where this belongs

its a scam.

It’s a scam. He will send the check and you will deposit it and it may even clear at first. A few days later the bank who the check is from will say it is fraud and the money will be pulled from your account.

tell em cash only.

if he sends you a cashiers check or certified check
he has to have the money to get one
it means its legit
and you cant pull money out of other peoples account

:picard:

in for hilarity once you get ripped off

its prolly CKY

The check will be fake and it will take the bank he forged it from a while to figure that out. When they do they will reverse their credit to your bank and they will in return pull it from your account.

lol are you really asking this question? Are you new to the internet or something?

If that’s not BS then CKY was my troll account.

Would you like to buy a star for a friend or family member?

Contact me for details :tup:

see here:
http://www.mycrimespace.com/2006/08/30/bad-check-lands-craigslist-seller-in-jail/

San Francisco resident Matthew Shinnick tried to sell a pair of mountain bikes on Craigslist late last year. He attracted a buyer, received a check in the mail — and ended up handcuffed by police in a downtown Bank of America branch and jailed for almost 12 hours.

Shinnick, 38, told me he’d received an e-mail in December from someone who said he was in Canada and was willing to pay a total of $600 for the two bikes offered on Craigslist.

“We never talked in person,” Shinnick said. “We just corresponded by e-mail over a series of weeks.”

The buyer finally said he was going to cut a check on his company’s Bank of America business account and arrange to have the bikes shipped north. Shinnick said he received a check for $2,000 shortly after Christmas and was informed that the extra cash was to cover shipping costs “and for my trouble.”

Shinnick, it appears, was a victim of the classic “Nigerian 419″ scam, adapted in this case to sucker in unwary Craigslist users.

Let’s stop there for a second. So far this doesn’t seem like the classic “Nigerian 419″ scam to me. The guy didn’t get an e-mail ffrom Botswana Motutu saying that he was a benificiary of a large sum of money. This is just a bad check scam. Anyway…

Typically, the scam involves a bogus check being sent by a fraudster as a part of a transaction. The transaction is subsequently canceled and, before the bank has spotted the check as a phony, the fraudster requests some or all of his money back — money that the victim unknowingly pays out of his own pocket.

Again, not a 419 scam…

Shinnick said he wasn’t aware of the scam while he was negotiating to sell his bikes — his first foray onto Craigslist. But he was made suspicious by the unexpectedly large payment.

“That was kind of a red flag because it’s a lot of money,” he said. “I didn’t want to deposit it into my account because I didn’t want it to bounce.”

So Shinnick, who resides on Nob Hill, stopped by a BofA branch near Union Square in early January. He said he asked a teller if sufficient funds existed in the BofA business account to cover the check.

“She said it was a valid account and that there were funds to cover it,” Shinnick recalled. “I said, ‘Great,’ and asked to cash the check.”

He signed his name on the back.

What Shinnick didn’t know is that he’d just become party to a crime. The bank account may have been real but the check was phony.

O dear…

Evo VIII MR just pm’d me in response to my star for sale.

I am pretty sure we could sell him some moon rocks and get him to invest in our saudi oil wells.

i only wanted to know if it was a good star
and if it had a long life left to live
i wouldnt want to buy one thats not quality
i can get you a certified check monday morning when the bank opens

come on im not that dumb…

How can u tell money orders are fake? I Sold my wastegate on ebay and the kid didnt have paypal so he sent me a money order (im pretty sure it was real, it had the writing and shit on the back if i recall)

so im guessing i should only accept paypal from now on lol…

tell him to send u the money via paypal or wire transfer?

it’s a scam… require paypal or wire transfer and they’ll disappear.

I got the exact same email from a guy on cl before when i was selling my phone, I didnt reply. i’m sure it was a scam.