Best way to remove the smell of 20+ years of rears?

Any of you detailers out there have any good tips on how to get the odd old car odors out of a car. I’ve been steam cleaning, using febreeze, using air fresheners and various methods on a regular basis. All with little to no success so far. It almost seems to neutralize whatever I use on it almost immediately.

It’s not awful by any means, it just odd and has that old musty odor and I’d like it just to smell clean and not like the outskirts of an old folks home.

the smell may just be the old foam/fabric decaying…

http://www.detailersdomain.com/ProductImages/1z/Klima_b[1].jpg

Klima-Cleaner is an effective means for removing odors from the air conditioning unit by eliminating odor-causing bacteria, fungi and other germs. This is the same product used by dealerships to effectively remove the source of the problem. While other products eliminate the odor by killing the bacteria and fungi, they don’t clean the evaporator surface. Klima-Cleaner’s active foam works by ‘scrubbing’ the offending bacteria and fungi off of the evaporator unit leaving a clean surface. Simply insert included spray hose into the center air vents in your vehicle’s interior and spray. Allow to work for 30 minutes. Creates a healthy and fresh smelling environment that lasts for months. To maintain results, we suggest you treat the system at least twice a year.

CAUTION: Recommended for professional application only. On certain vehicle makes, damage may occur if product is not applied properly. If uncertain about application, have a certified mechanic apply product.

^very interesting.

my friend did this and worked great. Tuck a new dryer fabric softener sheet under each car seat to counteract musty odors and cigarette smells

You can get an antifungal type of kit for your AC at most any car store. I used one from NAPA on my Jetta. Worked pretty well, but had a bit of a perfume mask in it too so it’s not a bad idea to do it when you can leave your car to air out overnight with the windows open.

As for neutralizing odors in carpets, has anyone ever tried shampooing with diluted white vinegar?

go into delta sonic and get a ozone treatment its guarenteed to get any smell out it . I work there and iv done it on cars a bunch of times and iv never once not had a smell come out.

yes 1z makes excellent products one of my favorite car care product companys

there is nothing you can do at home except mask the smell, it requires professional equipment.

recommendations on places to have it done?

I don’t buy smelly cars and detail my own stuff… so I’m no help with that part.

i did this thing called buy a new carpet :gotme:
it cost me 150bucks lol
then get the seats shampoo’d n cleaned and clean the headliner with greased lightening and let it air out

Shove some freshly cooked bacon in your hvac system. problem solved.

You cant remove plastic smells. You can only cover them up.
Plastics and synthetic materials emit chemicals and a smell as they age and settle in.
The older they get the less they should smell.

If its a musty smell then it could be mold related.
Check anything that could get moldy if wet. Some stuff is REALLY hard to get back to normal. Ever leave a damp shirt in the washing machine for 4 days? It smells horrible and it takes like 3 washes to get it back to normal… or you just dump it.

I would also wipe down every surface inside the area that stinks. Smells can settle on metals and glass and things.

OZIUM is a product that has a lot of good reviews towards attacking mold. I would spray the shit out of the car, lock the doors and windows and let it sit for a day. (IN the SHADE)

baking soda works really nice on the general smell, but the best bet is to shampoo the seats and carpet/ headliner, and scrub everything out.

ofcourse remove the seats ect.

its hard to make a car smell right, i just got done doing it for a friend of mine.

After cleaning the interior, change out the cabin air filter (in an E36, not sure if yours has one). A lot of times with heavy rains and snow, the water will get to it and cause mold. My car sort of had the odor of old basement. After changing the cabin filter, cleaning the interior, and replacing the windshield cowl, it now smells a lot better.

You usually want to avoid doing anything to the headliner at all costs. Simple rubdown could make old adhesive fail.

Ozone would work well.

i just cleaned one from a 1990 isuzu trooper, thats a 19 year old car, it had 19years of smoking in it, i cleaned the headliner (which like a gallon of tar came off) , the seats vacuumed and shampood, and u cant even tell someone ever smoked in the car.

the only problem you’re going to run into is on hot summer days, the car will sweat/moisture etc etc and you will get the smell back

29? wat? Yer math skills are teh suck.