Bing's lip V1.1 Splitter Addition

So I decided to make myself a splitter for the Kouki. I decided to use this 3mm aluminum double faced plexiglass because it is quite strong, barely flexes and doesn’t weigh too much.
This material is $140+ 4’X8’, but I needed 1.5 sheets for another job, so I made sure I had piece big enough for myself when laying out my cuts.

The leading edge should sit 2.5" ahead of the lip, 2" in the corners and taper down to 1" at the rear most edges.

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/461/181/26150090069_large.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/461/181/26150090068_large.jpg

this is just the preliminary cut, I will have to trim the backside at the wheelwells, and hopefully the front main pully. As well as cut outs for the TC brackets.

I will likely mount it to the lower rad saddle, frame rails and somewhere else, using plastic spacer discs on fairly long bolts so I can create the desired angle

I may use FG to mould this into the bings lip, or I may use something to fill in the windage gap between the lip/splitter.

Anyways I hope to finish my mock up on the chassis this week.

This thread I found quite useful;
http://www.timeattackforums.com/forums/aero-dynamics/1177-front-splitter-design-properties-2.html

any updates

not in the past 6 minutes, shit I cut it yesterday, and I need to help my father make a sign this morning, 30"X142" internal backlit

shit D90’s take nice photos

want to see this…

i’ve been meaning to get this done, more so for the S13 lip…

oh man thats cool.

how do you go about testing the angles for the desired amount of downforce?

is it done yet

bahahaha… in my windtunnel, I tore out the backwall of the garage where the it meets the kitchen, and installed a turbine engine and smoke machines… now I just need to make the garage a tunnel, and not a rectangular box.

What I have read so far indicated that on level ground I want the splitter 3"(roughly) off the ground, and 0 degrees or so.

I’ll update as I go… give me 7 days, it’ll be fitted.

Feel free to post links to other info that may halp me

He posted it about a half hour ago :stuck_out_tongue:

Finished product?

i know its probably sarcasm, but if you in fact made a wind tunnel in your garage you would be my hero lol

That looks like its taking the right direction, however I am wondering how and to where you’re going to mount it. Good luck on the project.

a thorough read through the first post would have told you I plan on mounting it to the lower rad saddle and frame rails utilizing plastic spacer discs to achieve the the angle and position relative to the bumper/mounting points.

You mentioned fiberglass molding the splitter to the lip. I don’t know how low your car is but wouldn’t it be beneficial to not mold it, just in case you catch it on something. You will probably still damage the lip, but atleast it should be repairable, and you wouldn’t have already spent the time molding it. You could try putting foam or rubber in between the lip and splitter to seal the gap and stop air flow.

^this is looking more like the solution… but even moulded, that aluminum/plexiglass won’t flex much and or will add substantial strength to the lip, however it may be too much, to the point the splitter will rip the FG lip from the bumper, I may require sandwich plates here like the OEM S13 lip

any future plans of making the carbon fiber once u have completed this design:)

why, If i wanted a carbon fibre one I would have ordered a $400+ universal one. This alumunum Plexi is going to hold up better, at a fraction of the cost, materials worked out to be free as scrap from the 2 4X8’s I used for a sign.

the weight difference will be minor,

NO to CF. Since I have zero tools/equip to vac form CF

softcore… but seriously… shoulda bought one made of 24k gold… and then paint it green

LOL Hector WTF. hahahahaha

Nice looking stuff dude. Let us know when it’s done.

^mark are you feeling okay today?