BIOS Question

So my brother just bought a new computer, and a new vid card. The built in vid card on the PC wasn’t enough to handel games so we installed the different card and it works fine. But…

I’ve been told the on board card should be turned off. To do so I’d need to do that from BIOS, correct? Anyone out there that can tell me how to get into BIOS, generally? I haven’t done this in years…

Thanks.

Most motherboards you just press delete key on bootup.

Onboard Peripherals is where the option to turn the video off is.

Yeah Esc doesn’t work for this computer. It was F2…

… and I can’t find it anywhere in the BIOS. Its not under Onboard Peripherals, leading me to think this card isn’t onboard… time to open it up and look again.

There is the RARE chance that a jumper on the motherboard would disable on the onboard video. But most manufacturers have been doing software control for quite sometime. Just make sure you check every sub-menu you can in the BIOS; an onboard video card might not be considered a peripheral.

This is why computers suck!

Damn I dunno…

Is it bad to not dissable the card? The computer came with an Nvidia 6100 256mb - I didn’t even know they made one. We replaced it with an ATi x700 256 since games like Battlefield won’t work with the 6100. Should I just remove the 6100? (If its not built-in? Could it be?)

just do it from windows…

f disableing it… just don’t plug it in and select the new card to be used as primary monitor… you can also disable it in computer management…

btw this is krazyjon

OK that “Nividia 6100” is def. built into the Mo.Bo… I’m looking for a jumper now…

Maybe the BIOS turns it off automatically? I know there was an option for something like that when I was looking around…

But it doesn’t show up in device manager!

Like, under display adapters it only shows the X700…

EDIT:

It shows 2 X700s … ??? …

Display Adapters
----- RADEON X700 PRO
----- RADEON X700 PRO SECONDARY

lol is the computer running battlefield ok? if so, screw it, the mobo might have done it automatically

btw thats a pretty decent card you go now, just put in in my bros computer and its not half bad!

ok,it probably automatically gets disabled anyway when a video card is in the AGP slot.It would show under display adapters.

I have that same card,ended up getting it for $129.It rivals a 9800XT.8 pixel pipelines with DDR3 memory.Also has VIVO.

What motherboard do you have?

I think that must be the case… this computer is a Gateway. As for the mobo, I’ve got no clue what it is.

Vid card is in PCIE slot.

Ok so here is an update -

We removed the X700 and took the card back since his comp kept locking up w/ the Blue Screen Of DEATH

After speaking with a huge nerd from the “Geek Squad” over at BestBuy, I was told I had to un-install the drivers / stock video card from the computer before I installed the new video card.

My brother then bought an ATi X800.

So after I un-installed the stock drivers / card, turned off the computer, installed the new card, installed the new drivers, the computer ran PERFECT… for only a few hours…

Battlefield 2 was ~60fps and smooth as silk. Then the damn thing locked up after a few hours of the game - Blue Screen Of DEATH

There is one other thing to consider here that I wasn’t thinking of before - the power supply in his computer is 300w. The new X800 says it needs 300w+, but according the “Geek Squad” that is over-rated and should run fine with just a 300w PS.

Anyone have any clue why this computer is locking up? The only other thing I can think of is that somehow the card is overheating. If the old card is uninstalled correctly now, and the new card is installed correct, what else would cause this problem?

Yeah heat COULD be the issue, you sure you have the latest drivers on the card/mobo? I know I was having some issues with my build, but everything seems fine after some updating

Thanks for reminding me. I checked it, but the only available update was for the “ATi Catalyst” thing… so we did that and a few small windows-update things and will see how it runs in a bit.

my X800 GTO should be here tomorrow…

lol… I’m on a Dell 3000 right now, and I can’t disable the onboard for the life of me, been at it for hours now. Unfortunately, with the 3000, there are no AGP or PCI-E ports, only PCI… so the Radeon 9250 won’t get recognized until I disable it completely.

I’ve disabled it through the manager in XP but that doesn’t cut it.

Someone call me please if they think they can walk me through it.

901-1081

Jack,have a look at this.

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_video&message.id=128185

Onyx,try the Omega drivers.They are improved ATI drivers optimized for gaming.I run them now with no problems,been running them for years.

http://www.omegadrivers.net/

300w power supply could be the problem too.

Well he played for a few hours again, this time no probs :tup:

If things decide to f-up again, I’ll give that a shot.

Jack --> http://www.nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7124