Help diagnosing a computer problem

My buddy’s computer is messed up and I am trying to help him out. Basically there is no signal going to the monitor. The computer powers on and seems to be working fine but nothing ever comes up on the monitor it just acts like it has no signal. We tried a second monitor but that did not solve the problem so I am thinking it is an issue with his on board video. Should I try throwing a dedicated video card in and seeing if this solves the problem? It’s pci-express or whatever which means my desktops vid card will not fit so He would have to go out and buy one, any advice on a cheep vid card that will do the trick? He is not a gamer it is just used for internet,dvd ripping and watching videos.

did you try a second monitor cable?
try resetting the bios?
check any and all jumpers/toggle switches?

If he wants he can bring it over to my place (amherst, NY) and I can put a PCI video card in there to see if it is the onboard video.

If there is something else wrong with it, I’d be glad to help him get it up and running (for my usual fees, of course…) but for him to come over and try out a video card, no biggie… that’s a quick 1 minute test.

Toss me a PM if you want. It could be a lot of things… sadly. Usually if the onboard video goes bad, then you have a problem with the motherboard. As you can imagine, that’s not a good thing. :frowning:

Both monitors work with my comp, I reset the bios and checked for loose wiring/pins. I may have to take you up on that baldy but I was afraid with it being on board that the MB may be toast.

Sadly, that may be the case. Only one way to find out is to try.

Toss me a PM, we can talk :slight_smile: