bit.ly

i’ve noticed a bunch of people on facebook (mostly nyspeeders) using bit.ly linking…

i just saw the company on the VCJ top 20…

i sort of get it, but can you guys explain why you use it and what’s cool about it?

Looking at all of the VCJ 20 i don’t even really understand what some of them even do.

http://bit.ly/

I thought the point was for stupid things like twitter where you have such a low character limit?

is that all it does?

seems like a waste of time then… i guess there is this dashboard to determine how many click throughs and from where… why would you need this for a personal facebook account?

I guess it has business applications but do people actually pay for this?

Bit.ly is huge.

It leaves you more space when posting links on Twitter (Twitter is an insanely powerful business tool, and also a retarted-emo-Facebook-status-update-loser-mechanism).

It gives you Analytics on links that you post (similar to Google Analytics), without requiring an account or website of your own. You can share a link on Facebook/Twitter, a forum, etc., and then see how many people share it, where they share it, and the traffic it gets (demographics included).

I use Twitter for business and find the service very useful.

I beg the differ.

i think you just have to figure out it.

I don’t see any application for it at work but that is part of the trick i guess, finding out how to use it…

for more social entrepreneurs i am sure it can be quite powerful in driving traffic

like it or hate it if you can’t see the power then you have no place doing anything around internet marketing.

you are incorrect.

just a couple examples:

last summer I bought a bag of clams from wegmans, and they ended up being rather poor quality. tweeted wegmans about it, they sent me $20 in gift certificates, more than the cost of the bag.

earlier this year I tweeted express something about a shirt I just bought being poor quality (a seam was coming apart after 1 wash). Their CMO direct messaged me to resolve the issue.

Twitter is great.

edit: a good write up on twitter by one of the “12 hours in a city” guys, Clark Dever.

^^^ oh snap… maybe i’ll have to start using it…

i set up an account but never really did anything with it…

i bet that the companies seeking out the negative feedback are looking at your network to see how much exposure you generate… maybe we should all add each other :slight_smile:

I’m neutral about it as it seems like it’s only useful for a small percentage of “social” type and/or large companies. I haven’t worked on any projects for small-medium sized local businesses that used it or wanted a Twitter account, as the benefits would be slim to none but I’m just the graphic designer and don’t make those decisions. :slight_smile:

I bet some graphic designer said the same thing about the first business card ;D

That’s just the exposure you would have to your direct contacts. you can search any string and see what people are saying (for example, express / #express, it would show all results for anyone that posted those words, relevant or not) or browse through the main timeline and see EVERYTHING.

So differ.

I don’t make those decisions, just stating facts.

Take a look at Core101’s portfolio (a well established local web development company): http://core101.com/our-work

Tell me how many websites you see with twitter integrated.

Like I said before, it’s power is limited to a small percentage IMO. I guess I should of been more clear in my initial post, my bad.

I use it at work on a daily basis, when spelling a URL to a customer on the line thats over 40 characters… Mistakes are common. Bit.Ly turns a 40 character url into a 10-15. Much Easier IMO

bit.ly is mostly another URL shortener that people use to post links to Twitter, Facebook, whatever. It is also becoming another tool to follow social trends. It grew successful because of its early appearance on Twitter and browser bookmarklet that makes it easy to use.

Most importantly it has a web 2.0 style name and that means it’s totally awesome.

If I was interviewing a company like Core101 and they told me twitter was a waste of time I’d get up and walk out right then. Twitter is not an item to be integrated into your website. It’s perhaps something to be mentioned and linked to (a line like “follow us on twitter”).

It baffles me that this is your industry and you don’t see the power and advantages of twitter over other technologies like facebook, blogs, and forums.

If you’re a graphic designer and don’t have a blog AND Twitter, you’re failing.

Dude, I never said Core101 thinks Twitter is a waste of time fool (neither am I). They would be more than happy to meet their customers needs. I’m simply trying to show you a local portfolio so you can tell me how many sites you see utilizing Twitter to be realistic about it’s advantages.

I’m not denying it’s capabilities, I just haven’t worked on a local website that gained profits from Twitter.

I love how you keep making stuff up, great job :tup:

It isn’t about just a website in particular getting use…it’s about a whole company using it to their advantage.

Here is an example. They are a medical accreditation company. Notice the followers they have…all sorts of medical industry companies are following what they are doing and where they are.

It’s free, and effective advertising/marketing for them

http://twitter.com/ACHC

It’s not that ACHC’s website is gaining anything from it… It is that they are using it to market themselves, and to let other people/businesses know what they are up to.