Blinker doesn't blink, stays lit

My girlfriend has a 1994 Buick Century and when she trys to use her turn signal, it just stays lit. Anyone have any idea on what to do to fix this?

you either have a bulb burned out somewhere, or the flasher is toast. check the bulbs first.

Could be a bad flasher. They just plug in like a fuse.

Could also be a bad ground on one of the lights. Do all the signal lights look the right brightness?

The flashers are calibrated to flash at a certain rate when a specific voltage and load is passed through them. That’s why when a bulb blows out they will usually flash really fast.

i vote bad bulb. turn the blinker on, on the side thats doing it…check side markers and rear bulb as well…one of them is probobly blown, causing the steady light. if bulbs are ok…try replacing the flasher.

ok I just went out there and checked it out for myself…

When I turn on the hazards, they blink normally. When I turn the car on and try to use the turn signals, both sides don’t work but they do light up and stay on steady (this happens both on the dashboard and outside the car).

flashers shot, same thing happened to my maro last summer i had to blink it manually for 2 days it sucked

thanks guys… going to replace it today!

car came in my work like this and was the switch. i diagnose it. you have to pull the steering wheel to replace the switch

pretty sure u dont on a century

oh i had to do that on a cavy before. not fun.

if the switch was shot… would the blinker light even light up, like it’s doing in my situation?

My thought is that it wouldn’t send power to the turn signals?

oo yea it was a lumina sorry lol. but 1 side would work and the other side wouldn’t. then sometimes it would switch.

Don’t the hazards and signal both use the same flasher?

idk. on this lumina the flashers worked if i can remeber

No some cars use two different flashers. I think it has to do with the current draw of having all the lights flash for your hazards as opposed to half of them flashing for the turn signals.

my truck has two flashers one for hazards, one for turn signals

those centurys use 2

There ya go then. Replace the turn signal flasher and it should be fine.

Play with the turn signal stalk when the blinker is steady on, pull it forward a bit, and push it back a bit, up, down, ect. If any of the fallowing can make it blink, the switch is the culprit.
Both my 88 and 89 Grand Prix’s had this problem. I would often have to pull the steering wheel and clean the contacts and it would fix it for a few months. The optimal solution would be to actually replace it, but I am cheap.