blown dip stick

my dip stick keeps blowin out about 1/2 in. does that mean the rings are friend and i’m geting blow by dident get a chance to do a compression check yet :mad:

yep blowby, my 91 gsx did it at 88,000 miles .also does your k&n filter on the intake cover blow oil everywhere in a circular pattern of the filter? assuming you have one?

Originally posted by Gnocide
yep blowby, my 91 gsx did it at 88,000 miles .also does your k&n filter on the intake cover blow oil everywhere in a circular pattern of the filter? assuming you have one?

no dont got that its routed back into the intake

check those lines for oil

ok i’ll check thoes tomorrow

the seals on the dipstick have worn. a common cure for it is to buy a new dipstick or crimp the dipstick tube. trust me i have seen this happen on over 20 dsm’s

Originally posted by 91gsx
the seals on the dipstick have worn. a common cure for it is to buy a new dipstick or crimp the dipstick tube. trust me i have seen this happen on over 20 dsm’s

thanks for the info i’ll try to do a compression check tomorrow at school. the only thin i am worried about is my friend just bought a talon that was blowin the dip stick and now we are puting a motor in. compression on his was 20 then rised to 80 when we put oil in.

if you get a new dipstick and it blows it out, its fucked on any dsm. crimp the hole if you want but it will still not fix the blow by(bandaid)

how many psi are u running?

I started to get oil pushin through at about 18psi on my conquest…

but think about this; usually there is some type of pcv system on every car. when u boost, instead of vacuum pulling the crank case gasses out and reburning them, boost will push air back into the crank case (into the valve cover, down the oil drains to the pan) and will want to escape somewhere…and it just ends up popping the oil dipstick.

this is usually the case if the pcv isn’t holding the boost back. if it is, it probably is the rings…:bash:

/\ right what he said. mine was infact the rings. compression was not that bad either just not stellar.

the compresion was between 145-152 the pvc seemes fine i’ll buy a new dip stick and c what happens

when was the last time you put a new pcv in? i just assumed that you had done that already. they are like $3 at auto zone. i suggested a new dipstick because it is inexpensive & a common problem (13 years of use). i suggested crimping the stick tube because if it starts blowing oil you could wind up with a char-grilled motor. it has happened… 1/2 dsm engine fires that i have heard of are due to oil blowin out the dipstick. if it is the rings it is a temporary fix but at least your car will run & not become a fireplace. i have owned 2 turbo dsm’s now. both of the oil dipstick seals have gone bad. the dipstick would pop out about 1/2" when they did. i got new dipsticks for all of them & never had the problem again. hope the same luck for you

Originally posted by gearhead
how many psi are u running?

I started to get oil pushin through at about 18psi on my conquest…

but think about this; usually there is some type of pcv system on every car. when u boost, instead of vacuum pulling the crank case gasses out and reburning them, boost will push air back into the crank case (into the valve cover, down the oil drains to the pan) and will want to escape somewhere…and it just ends up popping the oil dipstick.

this is usually the case if the pcv isn’t holding the boost back. if it is, it probably is the rings…:bash:

i’m runing 11 right now it was set at 14 before i saw the dip stick blowing out

That’s so crazy though…i don’t know much about this problem, but it seems like it happens enough to not be rings…

it must be the pcv system, or something…all dsm’s can’t have bad rings and blow the dip stick out…odd.

i’ve also never heard of a dipstick going bad :confused: i guess that’s a good idea, get a new one if there is no way of affixing it down some how. good luck…

14psi…:rolleyes: :wink:

i got it taped doen now till i can get a new one their only 16 i’ll pick up a new pcv 2