Oh No!! Fire! STM's solution to your DSM dipstick popping out.

http://www.streettunedmotorsports.com/parts/b/stm_dsm_sprung_dipstick.jpg
Click the image for more information.

Sick of your DSM oil dipstick popping out, spraying oil everywhere and potentially creating a severe fire hazard? :confused:

Donā€™t worry, STM is here to help.

We start with a brand new, OEM oil dipstick tube and weld on a small hook for a spring to securely hold the dipstick in place and keep it from popping out.
Then finish it all with a satin black coat of paint.

No more oil all over the place, no more fire hazard, no more worries.

• New OEM Oil Dipstick
  • New OEM Dipstick Tube
  • Spring
  • Satin Black Finish
  • Fits 90-99 DSM (Select 6 or 7 bolt motor)

$49.00

https://secure.securelogo.com/images/4g63girl.jpg

reallyā€¦thats a problemā€¦

Sounds like the car has OTHER issues if thatā€™s a problem.

Happens all the time to these cars.

well its a dsmā€¦ does not surprise me

Does this happen after you tune them? :lol:

ā€œhappensā€ to 944 Turbos too, people used to post on Rennlist ALL THE TIME (this and oil pan gaskets blowing out). 9 times out of 10 it was shot rings / pressurizing the crank case and this just masks the REAL problem :banghead:

whatā€™s blowby?

blowby is when a school bus passes a burning dsm

PUMP MAGIC SON!

This is actually a big issue on every dsm/Evo that runs alot of boost. There is only a point of cylinder pressure you can get to untill it passes by the rings. When you guys start to run alot of boost or make big power you will run into the same issue.

Also when building an engine for big boost the ring gap is bigger than normal so when boost initially comes on (and the ring gap is not sealed from the heat yet) The blowby will cause this to happen.

Better safe than sorry

-Em

Cool to see more new parts coming from you guys.

isnā€™t this what a PCV is for? Is there really THAT much blowby? I had 75% leakdown in cylinder 3 in my STi and I never had the dipstick pop out.

I do seem to recall this happening with an Ion Redline on Mikeā€™s dyno long ago. Seems like it wouldnā€™t be a terribly bad idea should something go wrong.

im fucking :lol: over here

good job, I like itā€¦ Iā€™ve never had a problem, but with 3 1" outlets(1 off block and 2" off valvecover) I can agree that there is a LOT of pressure in the block at a bunch of HP levelsā€¦ it still flows like crazy.

And yes, ring gap is higher at higher HP levels. Necessary Evil.

Should not be a problem on a properly built engine with the correct rings for boost and the correct surface finish on the cylinder walls.

Also ring gap on a supercharged or turbocharged engine is a little bit larger than normal. Not anywhere close to a ring gap for nitrous engines. The ring gap never completely seals. If the gaps touch and bind you have problems. Blowby is NOT from the minute gaps in the rings, it is from the rings that are worn out and/or cylinder that are glazed and worn. A fresh nitrous engine with .030" top ring gap will still leakdown at or under 1%.

Plugging off the dipstick will just cause the pressure to go somewhere else (oil pan gasket, rear main seal, front main, valve cover) More of a bandaid & you would be better off lowering the boost or rebuilding the engine ASAP

Hahaā€¦ I DID have my dipstick pop out numerous times at 75% in Cyl 3 lol.

PCV valve is closed under boost so it cant relieve pressure out of the crank case.

On stock mitsuā€™s this is an issue. Yes there is an extra port on the valve cover but at high rpmā€™s its just not enough. The proper way to fix the issue is to create vacuum on the crank case. This will help to insure your rings pull tight against the walls.

There is no such thing as an engine that seals with absolutly no blowby The difference is determined by cylinder pressure and ring gap. With our 2.0 liter cars making as much or more power then engines 3-4 times bigger than them there is alot of it.

-Em

And as far as extra insurance goesā€¦

What comes first? The dipstick popping out or the leakdown test? Most people need a reason to do a leak down test and with a toasted car that started on fire they wont be able to.