Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD

Apparetnly not. As of late, blu-ray is outselling HDDVD 9:2

ttt

Another turn in the long battle between the two:

Cliffs: Paramount/Dreamworks drops Blu-Ray support. Exclusive to HD-DVD.

I hope all you Transformers fans have an HD-DVD player handy.

Yeah, that’s a big hit to blu-ray.

I thought sony almost had it wrapped up with the blockbuster support and the target news…

Hey the good thing is, by time it finally goes one way or another, players will be much cheaper…

how long does sony own the right, for lack of better words, to blueray? AKA, when are other manufacturers allowed to build BR burners/players?

I guess it wont really matter once a BR/HD-DVD combo drive hits the shelves

edit: I wont be buying either until I can get a burner/player for 100.00 or less

they are already out, dual players.

oh, no shit… go figure.

I figured it’d be like the whole betamax thing all over again

edit: you gots a pm man

here is a blow to Blu-Ray Disc…

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/20/AR2007082000715.html

I really don’t care who wins… I just wish someone would. Different movies in different formats sucks unless you want to buy a really expensive dual format player.

poor sony

Micheal Bay obviously like Blu-Ray. After the announcement, he has stated that he will not be involved with Transformers 2.

This is gonna turn into a “You broke my GI-Joe” battle with these formats :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m just glad this war is happening now and not in the previous format upgrade. The difference between VHS and DVD was so huge I don’t think I could have waited for a winner had their been a DVD vs XYZ format war.

With a good progessive scan DVD player movies still look pretty damn good. Sure, HD would be better but it’s not enough of a difference for me to spend the money before I know which format is going to win.

+1, ever since the ps3 got the upscaling update, the dvd’s look phenomenal. I’m eager to see who will come out on top of this, but I’m not really affected by it.

The last 2 movies I ended up buying, I just bought on DVD, instead of BD.

Sony < Something else on the market. No matter what Sony gets involved in it seems like there is always something else that out that makes their products second rate. I am not saying that they don’t produce a decent product, but that there is always something that is better/favored over Sony.

The previous war was DVD vs. DIVX. That wasn’t a hard one to figure out.

As for Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD. I’ve got both a 360 with the HD add-on drive and a PS3. I haven’t exactly gone out a bought 2 copies of the same movie on different formats. But between the two, on a 50" 1080P HD screen, there’s very little difference that I can see when I’ve watched movies on both. At this point, which ever format comes out ahead really isn’t that important for me.

I just find all this back and forth between the companies and supporters amusing.

That wasn’t a war. That was the Bay of Pigs. Divx was the rebels, DVD was Castro, and Divx didn’t even get past the beach.

Yeah, like I said, I don’t care who wins. I just want someone to win so the prices come down on:

1. Players
  2. Burners
  3. Blank media

2 and 3 won’t happen until 1 happens and lots of people get a player.

Came across this article.

cliffnotes: Dreamworks and paramount will get $150million in financial incentives to support hd-dvd exclusively, for the next 18 months.

shorter cliff notes: toshiba bought them. :wink:

Figured there were a few things going on behind the scenes.

Bump year old thread…

Blu-ray FTW so far.
A lot of the hd players for sale at Christmas weren’t even 1080p.:bloated:

its going to be univesal drives FTW.

There really isn’t enough care as to which since many titles can be found on both formats as well as two sided (combo) discs.

On a related note, I read an article the other day stating that nearly 45% of the country now has a HD (720p+) TV in home… meaning there is a long way to go before the “old” DVD format is truely outdated by consumers.

$0.02

Disney on Blu-ray only must be worth something.:biglaugh: