Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD

Sony is every bit as evil as microsoft but the difference is that blu ray doesn’t belong to microsoft. Sony has a habit of making things very hard to work with them. Blu ray will probably succeed but will most likey be taken out by a newer technology as soon as someone else comes up with it.

Doubtful. They major studios don’t change formats very often because of the huge costs involved as well as needing the majority of the public to adopt the new players. Blu-ray will likely be around as long as VHS and DVD were.

Even with a dislike toward Sony, it’s nice to see the better technology win out from the looks of things. The current, and future potential of Blu-Ray is quite nice.

Prices on HD-DVD players are dropping fasttttt

said on Monday it is slashing prices of its HD DVD format players by between 40 to 50 percent as major Hollywood studios move to embrace Sony Corp’s

Effective 1/13/08.

:fyi:

just cant wait for xbox to bring out their bluray player…then I really couldn’t care less.

At this point though it just seems like there are more HD worthy movies on BR than on HDDVD

just bought a blu-ray player.

ZOMG the world is going to END!!!1111

LOL you beat me to it

Of course i was kidding :slight_smile:

Actually i get BD movies and stream them to my xbox, so i really dont need a stand alone player as of yet.

How do you stream formats other than WMV to your xbox?

www.tversity.com

MS has not been that loud on the subject of HD-DVD. I think they are moving more towards online distribution of HD content rather than sticking to a physical format. Even though they are on the HD-DVD consortium (or whatever it’s called), I doubt they are as comitted as Toshiba.

i download them, they are converted from BD or hddvd to wmv, or i just dl the big ass file unconverted.

The thing with the online distribution is this: Even with today’s broadband, there isn’t enough bandwidth to do it effectively. To download even a 720P movie with full surround audio you are looking at over 8GB. It’s going to take several hours for that download to happen. I can drive back and forth to the video store in a lot less time than that.

I was checking out Amazon unbox last night to see what was available, mostly because I was working during the second half of Sarah Connor Chronicles, and I noticed that what they offer is not the same as what I’m getting over-the-air. 2 channel stereo and not even 720P resolution. :rolljerk: They’ve still got a ways to go before on-demand distribution is viable, especially with HD TV standards.

With On demand tho the HD shows stream no problem, i usually have to wait 5 or 10 minutes before i can start it, but its not that bad after. This is with DTV tho, im not sure how the others are

Why wait for Studio support when you can just pay them off to join your side.

Warner gave Toshiba an opportunity to lure a Blu-ray studio to HD DVD, in which case they would go HD DVD exclusive and give HD DVD a clear studio advantage. A deal was nearly secured with Fox, which had been having trouble with Blu-ray disc production due to the lack of manufacturing infrastructure. At the 11th hour, Fox went to Sony with its concerns and received a reported $120 million payout to stay with Blu-ray. With no studio joining them on the HD DVD side, Warner’s hand was forced and it went with Blu-ray, receiving a reported $500 million for doing so.

Sony at it again.

nice, I would like a cool half billion…which is essentially all profit

Like HD-DVD didn’t pay for the exclusive rights it signed when blu-ray first started kicking it’s ass.

read the forum over there its funny.

just picked myself up a Pioneer KURO PDP-5080HD hoping for there to be an agreement because at this point i dont give a shit anymore, i just want to watch my movies in real HD…

Cable tv FTL… quality movies :tup: