Blue smoke from exhaust??

hey guys i need to ask if anyone knows the answer to this question?..

When i come to a complete stop or anything below 1000rpm and slowly rev my engine back up to the speed limit - blue smoke comes out my exhaust - i know for a fact that my exhaust is leaking right after my cat… i have my exhaust to repair this week - but it’s bugging me because i don’t what im burning…

Is there a way i can check to see what gaskets are leaking if any?

I am really hoping i can come to Niagara meet and meet you guys - i just dont want this to stop me …

Thanks guys

Blue = you are burning oil.

Possibly one of your seals is toast, take your your sparkplugs and see if any of them have oil on em.
Or maybe you overfilled oil, check your dipstick reading.

How blue smoke is coming out?

Isn’t oil burning like a blackish smoke?

blue = oil, black = running rich, white = coolant, IIRC…

Agreed. Sounds like oil getting into the cylinders. If your car runs ok then you’ve at least not fouled one of your spark plugs.

I suggest grabbing some Bardahl or other “leak reducing” additve from Canadian Tire for now… or untill you diagnose exactly which seals are shot. It won’t hurt to use thicker oil while you’re at it.

aright boys - i check the spark plugs - its in cylinder 3 there is some oil - the oil level is optimum - so this means i have a shot gasket? valve cover? its on a 93 KA2DE engine… can someone walk me thru the solution to fix the problem?

thanks alot guys

Ideally you should have a wet/dry compression test performed by a mechanic. I’ll spare going into detail but this should tell you where the leak is coming from. Hopefully it’s nothing more than valve seals and you get off cheap. If its worn out rings then your problem is a bit more costly. Either way I’d take it in to a shop and be sure.

My high-mileage Maxima had this same problem…It was a sh*tty care that I didn’t care much about so I added an oil thickener/sealant. This really helped cure the old leaky gaskets. It’s not the perfect solution but it might hold you over for now.

good luck

yea wet dry compression test (correct me if i am wrong)

you charge the cylinders with air 150PSI which allows the piston to go down and valves open - you would then open oil filter and if you hear any air escaping that means your piston rings are done, you can also check other gaskets…

oil on the spark plug - was it on the metal side? both? the ceramic?

the oil was on the ceramic side - the spark plug was a bit darker in color compared to the other cylinders…

the ceramic side eh? there is a gasket inside the valve cover that stops oil from entering the spark plug ‘tubes’.

I couldn’t see that gasket costing more than $15-$20