inspection(mainly emissions) problem

my gf’s mom’s car needs to pass inspection. as far as i know it will pass a safey inspection, the problem is its a 92 caravan, so its valve seals are shot. it usese about a quart of oil a week. it blows a lot of blue smoke. any ideas on what to do to get it to pass emissions? they’re really short on money so if it doesnt pass they will just buy another 500 dollar car, but thats a lot of money so spend for them right now.

try some of the stuff you can add to oil to stop oil burning? might work or might not but it is worth a shot

The last car I saw like that was my buddies jeep, he took it to Sears in Westmoreland mall, they made it pass with no prolems. The ran the living hell out of it, but it passed. This is after about 5 other shops told him they wouldn’t even try, it smoked that bad.

but if its takin a quart a week it MIGHT be to late for that

thats what im worried about. but, one of the shops told me to maybe just drive it around til its hot, thne bring it in immediately afterwards for the test

change the oil and put full synthetic oil in it from what i here synthetic oil doesnt blow smoke. don’t know if it’s true or not but give it a try or maybe someone else can chime in and bust this myth or say that it is true

I would go with the motor honey and drive it hard before inspection.

If that doesn’t do it it may be down to finding a shady garage to sticker it. :slight_smile:

you can definitely find garages that will hook up another car too the sniffer. but it’s a little shady to be blowing blue smoke after having a new emissions sticker

too bad it isn’t a rich condition. I know ways around that. :wink:

what about some lucas oil treatment? i found some in my garage, or is there something better to try? i know at work we have that shit that gaurantees you to pass emissions

Lucas oil treatment will burn off the exact same way, wont help. Getting the cat heated up super hot will help, but there is a catch. Since it’s been blowing oil/smoke the inside of the cat is most likely shot…at the very least partially clogged. That mean that the O2 sensor is caked with shit, so clean that off with 100% ethanol as well.

If you try to get it inspected and it fails, you can get a waiver for the second emissions test

only if the repairs exceed $150. so you blow 150 on an O2 sensor and some plug wires and bam your good. you can’t keep replacing the same shit every year but our old work truck (burnt valves) got a waiver for the 3 years it failed

An “accidental” vacuum leak may help.