Bolt coating

I want to get some dzus fasteners coated, I think they are all steel. Anyone know where I can get it done?

what kind of coating? chrome? what are dzus fasteners?

quarter turn fasteners:

http://www.ec.erau.edu/cce/centers/edwards/Amt240/dz.gif

I was hoping to subdue the silver… they are steel so i think its going to have to be zinc, black chromate

I think I got it figured out. Anyone know for sure if can do this to those?

http://rochesterovernightplating.com/serv01.htm

You sure can… i plan on getting my dzus clips done in black so i can finally get them on my car and get rid of the ghetto zipties

Yes ZBC on steel or hard anodize black if they’re the aluminum fasteners. You need something wear and UV resistant and both meet those requirements.

Neither are cheap processes on the consumer end for small quantity.

You can do a home brewed “anodizing” on steel parts with and acid etch color dye process by taking sulfuric acid and ultra concentrate color dye(fabric dye) and dipping the parts for a brief time. Just be UBER careful using that stuff. Or you can try PPG Rust Mort. Soak parts ~24-36hrs and they tend to get a grayish/black corrosion barrier on them

what are they used for? i dunno that i’ve ever seen them??

same here, lol

Want me to do a whole bunch and we can split the cost?

I’m actually switching out the flathead ones I had bought for these: http://www.panelfast.com/se-allen.htm

quarter turn quick release fasteners for body panels on race cars.

Interesting. Where can I pickup sulfuric acid other than stealing it from the lab?

where can i find the ppg rust mort? would it chip off?

ohhhhhhh… i’ve yet to purchase / build anything badass enough to utilize said fastener lol.

where do you buy your dzus clips from? is there a place around here or do you get them online?

The ones I bought I found from a dirt track race car fab shop literally down the road from my apartment after searching and searching online.

I’ll call them and ask if they have the allen heads, if not i’ll buy them from that link.

if they have the allen head ones let me know a price… i have a shitload of the flathead ones, id rather have allen head

How many would you want? I’m in the same boat, I have captive and loose flatheads but I really don’t want something that easy to remove on my street car.

id need atleast 10… Thats the reason i want the allen head too… i dont want assholes walking past my car and uncliping them with keys or coins

I’ll check on them this weekend. I’ll see if I can concoct adam’s special coating too unless you want to spend the big bucks on real plating… well maybe i’ll check on that price too.

Sulfuric acid is a common electrical PCB etching chemical. I have a tiny bit here left over from making the PCB boards for electronics on that chopper but not enough to do something like this.

PPG Rust Mort, can buy at any GOOD automotive body supplier(IE Saratoga autobody, Schenectady Autobody, etc)

I’ll have to check into it, see where i can get it in rochester.

If i ever win the lottery Adam will be hired full time as my consigliere

Harwwood i believe sells a kit to do it urself.

there’s a place i deal with in amesterdam that does anodizing. zinc coatings and industrial chrome plating. not show chrome industrial chrome… if ur interested let me know i can give his number. cant rememmber the co. namebut i have a number right to the head guy there.