Boost controllers

hey have been looking for a decent boost controller. came down to the 5 above. just really looking for some opinions / experiances with using different ones and setting them up for optimal response, boost stability ect…

kinda leaning towards the apexi avc-r

thanks

nate

apexi avc-r - decent unit, sometimes nice to have “boost to pass” on a momentary switch (scramble)
apexi power fc add on - essential the same as AVCR. Uses same boost sensor and solenoid. Nice to be able to control different boost levels with commander. No real abilty to tune boost response though as the functions are limited, even when using datalogit
Aem tru boost - not on your fking life
blitz sbc - major pile of sht
greddy profec - older ones work fcking amazing. These control boost amazingly well for how simple they are.
other - bang for your buck…just a good manual controller if you just plan to run one boost level. Don’t spend the money if you don’t really have to.

^^^ perfect! the exact person i wanted to hear from.
i would love to run different boost pressures and have some settings to play around with. as i may want to drive on the street and take it easy on the motor and be able to select different settings when i kill it.

would the manual boost controller actually help build up higher boost levels at lower rpm and different throttle positions to keep traction and help the torque

edit sorry if im rambling still learning all the benifits to having one…

Noob Question

How do you tune for boost response with a boost controller? Basically how is this accomplished?

i have a used blitz with all wires and vac hoses $40

Im using an apexi avc-r. you cant go wrong man, you tune it so it will boost more or less at what ever rpm you want. It also shows your injector output speed and rpms. Its a great controller.

if your getting an apexi power fc then get the fc add on but this is only if your going with the power fc

yea ive got a power fc but the stand alone controller system with more functions is around the same price.

I like this thread. I’m also trying to figure out the best route to go with a boost controller. I’ve read that a good manual boost controller is the safest way to go. no moving parts less to break less to go wrong.

As for that though I am quite interested in tuning for boost response and boost level. What kind of management system do you have to before. In my limited knowledge it seems like you would need a pretty nice system to monitor and tune towards boost level.

If i mainly use my car as a daily driver but track it whenever I have the money I was thinking manual was the way to go. I’m not really into needing to hit a scramble button to win a drag on the highway but please school me what do i need an electronic boost controller for?

just thought id throw this in here… some advice from zilvia

"Are you running a manual boost controller? Your torque is higher at redline than it is at 5000 RPM, which would probably be untrue if you were at constant boost.

It just looks like a MBC setup dyno where the boost tapers up to full boost.

IF so, you really should get an EBC, you are missing out a ton!"

I am running an AVC-R…dunno how the Profec works, but I can’t imagine using a boost controller that DOESN’T have RPM specific duty.

People running a MBC are forced to dial it in so it hits some “peak” boost. Consequently, they spool up suffers dramatically.

EBC allows you to achieve the fastest possible spoolup without overboost and then hold it there.

Woah woah woah…be careful with statements like this. Boost controllers can not make a turbo system generate more boost at any specific rpm range if it’s not physically possible. A systems ability to build boost is mechanically limited by a number of different factors including, but not limited to, the size of the motor, volume of air, size of turbo, etc.

So, boost controllers can not help you build boost if it is not physically possible for your motor and turbo configuration to do so. What boost controllers do is help you maximize what is mechanically possible.

Yeah, those comments are generally accurate. Good on them for recognizing your lack of boost control from your trq curve. Don’t often see that on web forums.

ok cool thanks for clearing that up. i am still learning about these.

I was wondering if you could let the boost climb to a steady 14 psi or so, and then drop off to about 10psi gradually, keeping the power curve almost flat. This is of course assuming that the turbo is fully spoolable when this limit of 14 psi is applied. I know this seems besides the point, but having a linear acceleration throughout a gear is so cool.

I’ve seen cars which are limited to 300whp in their class and they have a boost curve to allow maximum torque and then reach 300 lbs.ft at 5252rpm, where they start dropping the torque keeping a power curve plateau of 300whp. Can any of these boost controllers do that? Its like an equalizer for your powerband, especially if you have a responsive turbo. lol

Nate, make me an offer on that PowerFC boost control kit. It’s just sitting on a shelf collecting dust and I could use some Christmas money.

HALMAN PRO RX.

ceramic ball.
manual boost controller
BEST.

-end thread.