boosting an lsx.

alright, i need to get my s10 back on the road. i miss having power. plus the 12pt cage is going in this spring so ill really have the itch.

i have been looking into motor options and i noticed alot of discussion about boosted 5.3l truck motors. it seems guys are running these with ls6 cam and springs, and a 70-76mm turbo around 10 lbs and are seeing 500-600hp. i like the idea of this because when i want to go bigger, my mounting, electrical, etc is all set for a larger 6.0l…i would just have to swap out injectors and tune to get it working it seems…

it looks like i can pick up a 5.3l in nice shape with somewhat low miles for ~$600 from the junkyard.

my problem comes in that i know nothing at all about boost. all of my knowledge with motors and building power is naturally aspirated, and i havent really messed with these newer motors much. can anyone tell me what kind of cost im looking at to piece together a turbo setup for this? i intend on fabbing the headers and piping for this. my truck also currently has zero factory computer as its set up for old school carburated. using a fuel cell so im thinking use an inline walbro for fuel pump?

thanks

maybe PM Cougerspeed knows his LSx motors

Anywhere from 3k-300k depending on setup haha

A lot of rising costs are just in what materials you decide to use, how nice you want things to look, and what you end power potential are going to be

At the end of the day this is deff somethjing that can be done with budget in mind IMO but generally costs more then anticipated for most.
A single 255 pump worked for me in a previous car to 600rwhp while some have had issues at around 500ish.

If you have any specific questions let me know and I will try to answer them.

The price adds up much quicker than you would think. I have spent about 2x what i had originally planned.

LS6 cam + springs is cheap

cold side/hot side/turbo eh

Tuning? Hptuners + wideband? or have someone esle do it

Injectors/fuel pump

There are a number of budget 5.3 builds on LS1tech people swap them into Fox bodys and random shit all the time.

If you don’t go that route you can get 450rwhp out of a 6.0l with a large cam and some ported stock casting heads.

Also the 317 heads have larger chambers then the standard 241/243 heads so this will drop your compression with factory pistons. Couple the 317 heads with a complimenting head gasket, arp studs, a custom turbo cam and you’ll have a fast little 327.

Probably would want to run a ~70mm turbo at like 15psi maybe 18-20 on race gas?

Food for thought. 5.3L compression power NA…this will give you numbers when you’re out of boost.

Little secret you can run more boost reliably on a 5.3L than you can on a 6.0L…shhhhhhh

Depending on the money you have to spend a good combo would be iron 5.3L, forged pistons, rods and then turn it up with a little 76mm. At the very least if you want to run boost you should take the engine apart and open up the top & second ring gaps

Interesting, why is the 5.3L better then the 6.0L for boost reliability?

What if you punched out the 5.3L to the 5.7L piston size and made an iron block 383? :-0

im going to look into ls1 tech… i think this would make my s10 go pretty good. with the work im doing to the chassis and other weight reduction i think i could still get the truck sub 3000 lbs even with this setup.

i know nothing at all about tuning efi. ive only messed with carburators lol

i did find this article that hotrod did on a budget 5.3 build…
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/hrdp_1104_594hp_53l_gen_iii_small_block_for_3252/viewall.html

Well the thing is if you run a stock motor with a stock cam just having to tune in boost isn’t that bad

sub’d

Easier to hold a gasket down on a smaller bore engine. That is why you will routinely see 5.3 engines well over 20 psi with no water problems

Good to know. I’ve seen many guys down here in Texas run 20psi on junk yard 5.3s. They ROLL OUT

Iron 5.3L, 010" over forged pistons, good rods, and good aftermarket heads (AFR, TFS, Dart, etc.) make a nasty combo that retains a gasket well with std ARP head studs. That along with LS9 head gaskets and there should be no problem running over 20 psi. Can’t say the same for a 4.00" bore 6.0L or larger engines

Mine had no issues on 18psi/975rwhp Dart heads 4.070 bore MLS gaskets and ARP studs

17-19psi is about the limit. Plus your car wasn’t exactly raced a lot. Most if not all will push some water eventually and then it all goes down hill

Shut up Drew JnJ is talking about thing he has never done before :lol:

3 years of racing and my old 6L with a 4.04" bore still doesn’t push water.

Not a drip!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-UdEVV0AXoK4/TbbW6fHyLwI/AAAAAAAABEE/0lN34menJ9E/s1600/jim-carrey.jpg

LOL you are funny

NO SHIT it was built right and tuned good

So then you agree on a proper setup and tune the larger bore will hold the heads down haha.

I went with cubes last time and will go with cubes again. GIMME ALL THEM CUBIC INCHES!!! PUSHRODSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS