rebuild motor

What does it take to make a motor essentially new. Is there any reason to buy a low mileage motor if i’m going to replace the pistons, rings, valvetrain, cams, headgasket, and rods? I’m building a b18b for boost.

for how much boost?

also, if the cylinder walls are shot, a new set of rings is useless. if your spending the money on those parts you might as well spend the extra few dollars to have a machine shop freshen up the block.

You should sleeve that block?

at most 15 lbs. i really don’t want to sleeve it. just looking for around 300-350 hp. this isn’t a race car it’s just for fun and destroying srt-4’s and evo’s.

Contact Golden Eagle. they will help you out.

300 sounds good enough to take a stock SRT4 and Stock evo on…

What kinda turbo will you be running?

Fixed Vince went 11.7 with 205 whp

No reason for sleeves, I would go 81.5mm bore just to make sure they are True.

My stock sleeve street tuned 11.50 bfg motor had close to 200,000 miles on the block…

There is NO need for it UNLESS you spun a bearing…If you spun a bearing throw it away and stay away from it

Also if your keeping the LS head DO NOT put any money into it, no cams, no Springs retainers…The money you put into that A stock b16 head or GSR head flow much better and can handle the RPM’s

can the b16 and LS blocks handle the same amount of boost? maybe i should just go b16 for $150 more… i was planning on using a gt35r. i can’t decide between the two motors.

Here is what his car looked like too

205 whp @ 11.7 is just about if not EXACTLY 1700 pounds.

What kinda trap speeds in the 1/4

B16’s can handle more power stock no doubt,

there is a stock B16 on this board thats making well over 420whp and has ran for a while

113/114 it weighed in around 2000lbs *all motor

my car went 11.87@118 on BFG’s with 262whp 2 years ago

on street tires weighing in at about 3400 i pulled a 12.1 @ 117 mph.

Its not unbelievable for him to pull them times, you just spend more time on weight reduction and traction over the motor aspect.

11.87 and 118 are hand in hand 60whp is a bigger difference when you are talking about cars that have no weight on them…

what kinda times do you run now?

The B16 will handle more power, but if your only going for 350hp an LS will work fine. If your tune is real good you could do it on stock pistons, but it would be a timebomb. I’d get forged pistons, ARP rod bolts and get it balanced. Just punch out the block enough to make sure the cyls are straight. Use a good oil pump and keep the rpm’s down(below 8k). BTW, a GT35 is a pretty big turbo for 350hp. You could downsize and pick up a lot of midrange power + save money

+1

The GT35 will push up to 600+whp

I suggest a 3065 for good spool and nice midrange power.

ok so if LS at 10 psi=300whp safely what does b16 at what psi equal what horsepower safely? this isn’t a track car it’s my dd and i want to have a low boost setting for everyday and one for going really fast. i met the kid who has 407 on a b16, he’s running 15psi and he told me he only drives it like once a week. what are the power limits on a gt3065? won’t a gt35 make more power at the same psi? and isn’t more psi harder on the motor?

last year was 10.7@133 with 500whp
and 11.01@134 on BFG drag radials It was full int with a full exaust

this year i went 11.1@139 learing my car on Bias plys
On slicks it went 10.7@140 best mph 143
Breaking up and whatnot I only got 2 slick passes on it this year…

Eric from hybrid is still on a 3076R and he is making somewhere around 550whp. It spools fast come on hard and stays…
The 35R will be Overkill BUT it will make more power @ less PSI. and it better for your motor… not to mention that IFF you wanted to turn it up and get a sleeved block your good for 600+

The GT3065 is a 30R turbine wheel mated to a 82mm compressor wheel. The 3065 should be very comparible to the 35R up to around 30psi of boost. After that the 35R has the turbine wheel to outbreath the 3065. The advantage is the smaller turbine wheel which should help it spool a tad quicker than the larger turbined 35R , but of course that smaller wheel will run out of steam at some point.

The 65 in the 3065 represents the lb.per minute that the compressor wheel is capable of flowing dont mean it will when its mated to the smaller turbine wheel though.

The 35R is a bit overkill for what your looking to do 350whp and all, though you will have lots of room to work with. but for daily it might be a bit laggy of course when you ring it out , its lights out

see that’s the thing, i want it to be easy on my motor, i’d go bigger if it were practical. i also don’t mind the fact that it’s laggy because i don’t want it engaging every time i go over 3k. i want it to be a stock car when i’m driving normally but a monster when i get on it. if i go gt35r how high will i have to rev it to always stay in boost? the kid with 407whp revs to 9k and is running 15psi. i think that’s much harder than i’d want to run my motor. what’s the power difference at 10psi between the 3056 and 35r?

From what I understand there is no notable difference between the 3065 and the 35R until around 30 psi , then the 35R starts to make more cause of the larger turbine wheel.

As far as how high you would have to rev to keep the 35R on spool I would think that 8k minimum , to put you back on the spot after a shift