Boyscouts pinewood derby

race is next week, aside from polishing the axles and loading them up with dry lube, what other tips or tricks are there??

I have to attach the weights and bring it up to the 5oz weight limit. Any advice on what part of the bottom to attach the weights?? I have been told to put them in the front, back and middle by all different people. Im thinking the middle would be best to distribute the weight evenly amoungst (sp) all 4 wheels. I think this would allow for minimum friction.

whats everyones thought on this??

I dont need my kid to win but I would like him to make a good showing.

The kits are $5, I would consider having an unlimited race for adults. Not having anything to do with the scouts of coarse. If enough people were interested I would do this next winter.

I did front, made state competition three years in a row in IL.

Micropolished the axles, loaded anyplace that was a free spinning bearing with graphite, roughed the wheels to grip, put the weight in the back.

pinewood derby’s are pretty cool.

i think i used the cylindrical and flat weights. drilled a hole in the back and jammed the cylinder weight in, probably 70%. then put the remaining weights under the front axle.

brings back memories…

Not sure about IL but here in NY you cant use bearings.

Dude, you know those nails that you put the wheels on?

rub a pencil tip on them, its graphite, and lubes it.

I put weight in the middle and trumped

-Metal washers between the wheel and wood if it’s allowed.
-Use cylinder weights, I recall a few instances of bottom weights rubbing and slowing it down. On others
-Let the kid have some fun with the creativity. Sure simple shapes do work the best usually. But it’s his time to shine even if you did the work.
-Hot glue the axles in last thing you want to happen is one to get damaged and then ruin your kids day because a wheel won’t stay on straight
-Add a hint of positive “camber” in using said hot glue. Less potential contact area both on the center rail from lateral movement, and on the ground as well. Less friction = good
-Make sure it rolls straight on level ground, if it pulls to the side it can cause issues with rubbing the rail more than it has to slowing you down.
-Positioning can play a role, weight up front will help with inital acceleration. In back will help at the end. Personally I’d just keep it in the middle. In the middle will help with rotation on the hill humps.

I have throphys from it long ago, but I was too young to understand most of the physics at the time.

no washers allowed
btm weights will be recessed

as for the axels, after polishing them I coated them with about 10 coats of graphite dry lube (dry lube is the only type allowed)

I also ran the block through a planner and pre drilled small holes for the axles so that when I pressed them in they went in straight. I coated the outside of the wheels with graphite to reduce friction if they came in contact with the rails.

I remember my father making one of these for my brother. If i remember correctly, he melted lead anchors and poured them into a cavity in the body so that the weight was distributed. He also purchased a tube of dry lube that was slick as butter and coated the nails with it repeatedly.

i really think the fathers get into this shit more than the kids themselves lol.

my dad ended up making one for shits and giggles after he was done with mine.

Making sure it rolls straight is a biggie.

I didn’t rough the wheels I polished them, I also made sure there never was any flashing around the hub. I used Pledge on the tread area and buffed them thoroughly. Not against the rules.

Use a wheel gauge when you set the axles in the block. This makes sure they are all the same distance from the body.

I chucked the axles in a Dremel and used a super fine file first to remove any flashing on the nail heads, Then 3000 grit on the axles followed by SimiChrome on a Q Tip against the spinning axles. The graphite on the Q Tip to finish.

The weights MUST be recessed at least flush with the bottom if that’s the way you are doing it. The track that most Packs use has a couple of spots that will kick it up if there’s anything hanging down whatsoever. I’ve never used weight up front, but in the center recessed, on each side like side pipes and in the rear too. all worked about the same.

One trick I’ve seen used but never have tried is having it run on 3 wheels. One front wheel is set up very high and doesn’t even contact the track. I can’t say I’ve seen any bonus from it though.

If you have a choice try not to run lane 6. On the usual track statistically it is the slowest.

This all was for the adult class BTW. Never lost…

Get a lathe, and make the wheels as skinny as possible without risking structural integrity

For weights we drilled holes in the bottom and melted some lead into them. Worked well.

Nos.

Weights on the front underneath and on top 3/4 to the back is what we found worked best.

Graphite dry lube, you already covered. The shape have fun with it.
I’m trying to figure out where I have pictures of the ones we made, also made a DIY write up while in the process.

NYspeed helping boyscouts cry since 2008

ahh the good old days…

Here’s some tips I use:
-put your axles in the dremel and smooth them with some 2000 grit sandpaper.
-put a Q-tip in your dremmel and ream out the inner wheel hub a few times on the highest speed to smooth the inside of the wheel hub
-place axles and wheels in a baggie filled with dry graphite and shake them occasionally for a few days prior to installation (after posishing the axles and inner wheels)
-PRESS the axles in with a clamp 9make sure to put a removable “c” shaped spacer between the wheel and chassis so you can remove the spacer once the wheels are pressed in and trued.
-check, double check, then recheck on a flat surface that all 4 of your wheels are touching the ground and level.
-On derby day, take a pocket of change and some super glue. you can always glue a coin or two on your car if you’re light on weight.

From a friend of mine on another forum.

Heres some other tips i gathered around for you.
Im so bored.
http://www.derbyworx.com/video.htm

the biggest speed secret is to make SURE your axles(little nails) are square or 90 degrees to the body.

The sandpaper the axles smooth seems to have worked for us so far, and yes the 90 degrees to the body is a MUST for speed.

Here’s my Axle/wheel tips:

I built a tool out of a c-clamp to press the axles in place rather than hammer them in, ensuring a true 90 degree to the body and ground and a 1/32nd space between the hub and body to avoid any excessive rubbing. http://crxcommunity.com/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Then before putting the axles in, I polished the hell out of them with some 200 grit paper on the insides of the hub and on the axle surface. Pretty much anywhere the wheel makes contact with the axle.

Take a Qtip in your dremel with some mild abrasive like toothpaste and use it to polish the inside of the hub where it rides on the axle. A little dab goes a long way! Be sure to remove all the polish before adding graphite. now you take and put your graphite into the hub and shake it with your finger over the holes, to ensure it’s coated the whole inside really well.

Now take your axle and carefully push it through the hub so you don’t knock out too much graphite. and press it onto the chassis.

Once all 4 axles are on, set he car upright on a true flat surface and check for any unevenness. if anything is uneven, take a small flat screwdriver and tap gently on the lowest axle to move it up in the axle slot to get the wheels all flat on the table. once you’ve done this, lay out a small puddle of water to roll your wheels slowly though. You’ll see on the wheels, what part is on the ground and what part is in the air. with 400 grit, gently smooth the area that will be contacting the track. I’m not saying reshape the wheel here, you just want to make sure the area on the ground is smooth and not the textured ridges on the outer edge of the wheel. Note: reshaping the wheel is illegal in most all scout races.

Once the tires are smooth and the axles are trued, it’s time to pour in a crap load of graphite. Turn the car over and lean it towards the corner you want graphite in. Tap your graphite onto the axle and axle groove so it makes a nice pile by the wheel hub. Now gently spin the wheel slowly by hand (not a fast free spin!) to get the graphite to fall into the hole around the axle and into the hub. (repeat for all 4 wheels/axles)

Now, give the wheels one good spinning to see how long they’ll spin. If you don’t get a 20 second spin from that wheel, graphite it again until you do. Repeat for all 4 wheels.

NOW, wrap the car in a paper town to keep keep any moisture away from the graphite and pine wood. Don’t take it out to show it off over and over, this spills the graphite every time you spin the wheels!

The day of the race, graphite the hell out of the axes again. I’ve noticed damn near everyone that handles the cars spins the wheels or runs it back and forth on their palms before putting it on the track to race.

the quotes are all the same guy, his sons took first and fourth out of 21 kids :smiley:

He put most of the weight over the rear wheels.

3 wheel thing worked for me 4 years in a row …also +/- camber (dont rember what one)so the other 3 wheels run on a edge

im in for a NYSPEED pinewood derby

Against the rules, can’t change the profile or thickness of the wheels.