Brain Teaser thread

While exploring the wilds of Canada, Wild Man Dave was captured by hostile wood fairies. Brad, the powerful chief of the fairies told him he could make one final statement which would determine how he would die. If the statement he made was false, he would be boiled in water. If the statement were true, he would be fried in oil. Wild Man Dave found neither of this options too his liking, so he made a statement that got him out of this seemingly impossible situation. What is the one statement he could have made?

A man is sitting in a pub feeling rather poor. He sees the man next to him pull a wad of £50 notes out of his wallet.
He turns to the rich man and says to him,
“I have an amazing talent: I know almost every song that has ever existed.”
The rich man laughs.
The poor man says, “I am willing to bet you all the money you have in your wallet that I can sing a genuine song with a lady’s name of your choice in it.”
The rich man laughs again and says, “Ok how about my daughters name, Joanna Armstrong-Miller.”
The rich man goes home poor. The poor man goes home rich.

What song did he sing?

:cool:

Pm’d. I didn’t want to post b/c if I got them right, it’d kinda ruin it for the next person.

The point of this thread should be to post them if you got 'em.

Also, post the answers, who cares…

If you post a teaser, wait like a day or so, to generate some guesses, then post the answer.

The answers to the above 2 teasers will be posted tomorrow.

Antonio, #1 was wrong, #2 was right.

#1 - ??

#2 - Happy Birthday :dunno:

In a hallway there are 3 light switches in the off position. Ther is a room with only one light bulb. You may move any of the switches, but you may only go into the room one time. The door to the room is perfectly sealed so that no light can escape through the cracks, and it is too far away from the switch panel to hold it open while you turn on the switches. How can you determine which switch turns on the light?

I love this one!

3 - If you can move any of the switches, why not just turn them all on? :dunno:

Or can you only flip one switch?

^ That will not solve it. It does not ask if the light turns on.
You need to figure out which of the 3 switches turned it on.

post answers please.

i think we had one of these before, here is my favourite riddle.

A man walks into the nicest hotel in town on a very busy night and goes up the front desk… “Excuse Me,” he asks, “how much is a room”

“Well sir, our rooms tonight are on special for $600”

“Excellent, I will take a room please.”

The man pays for the hotel room in cash, picks up his bags and retires for the evening in room 241.

A few moments later the front desk clerk realizes he has made a mistake the room that the gentleman is staying in is only $550, not $600.

He calls to a bellman, gives him five $10 bills and asks that he take the $50 and returns it to the man in room 241.

While walking up the stairs the bellman thinks to himself: this man in room 241 does not know that the room is $550, instead of returning all of the $50 to him, I will give him $30 and keep $20 for myself.

The bellman gets to room 241 and knocks on the door.

“Hello” says the man

“Sir, a terrible mistake was made, we have overcharged you for this room. Here is $30 back. Please enjoy your stay.”

“Thank you very much says the man, good night”

now, the man paid $600 for the room but it only cost $550. The bellman gave him back $30.

This means that the man paid $600 but received $30 back so in total he spent only $570. However, the bellman only kept $20.

$570 + $20 is $590… where did the other $10 go?

Flip on switch 1 for a few minutes. Then turn it off.

Turn on switch 2.

Go in room…

If the light is on, it’s switch 2. If it’s off, then it must be 1 or 3.

Feel the bulb… if it’s warm, it’s switch 1. If it’s cold, it was switch 3.

OH SNAP!!!

Bing’s thing is a spin on the waiter tip/discount teaser…

Nothing happened to the $10.

550+20 = 570

570+30 = 600

570+20 is irrelevent… it’s adding to the total what the bellboy kept instead of subtracting it.

http://www.bings.ca/images/misc/Other/Bingfnf2.gif

you’re not a man, you are some kind of riddle-genie

#1 - nobody even attempted it…therefore you don’t get an answer yet.
#2 - Happy birthday is right.
#3 - Mike is right.

the first one…

i forget exactly but the guy has to say something about what they do to him… i forget what exactly… im gonna reread it and attempt to guess the answer.

Mike, did you google the bulb question? C’mon, fess up? :squint:

http://www.ypcommando.com/brain/27a.html#a

Oh snap I got Happy Birthday right without even googling :o

What do the words below have in common?

ADAM CLAIM GALL BUOY FOND RAMP

Gonad you tool… that’s not even the same riddle.

And no I didn’t google it. I heard it like a year ago.

The strategy is the same, irregardles of the number of bulbs involved. :squint:

irregardless, alls i know is you minus well consider it the same for all intensive purposes