Brake Pad Suggestion

It’s time to put some new pads on the truck (2000 Expedition, 4wd). I’m 99% sure I want to go ceramic so I can cut down on the brake dust because it’s a huge problem on these trucks. Autozone has the Morse ceramics for $40 a set for front and rear (total $80). Has anyone tried them? Obviously this is not a racer in anyway, but it does have to stop 5500 lbs and most of the summer it’s dragging a trailer that runs around 3000 lbs. In other words I don’t want crap brakes.

Next question, I’ve heard some nightmares about getting the rotors off Expedtions/F150’s over on the Ford forum. Anyone done these before? There were several people that said they ended up taking a sawzall to the old rotors in order to get them off.

Call up Skrapper (Hank) at Napa, he will set you straight on some good pads!!

Sometimes the rotors freeze to the hubs, your best bet is a 5lb sledge (being very careful of course)

:word:

I’ve had real good experience w/ the Bendix ceramics available at Advance. The rotors can be a bitch. Sometimes have to drill a line of holes on the rotor hat and take an air chisel to them to remove, sometimes they come right off.

Actually, didn’t even think of that. I’m already in on the group by for the wiper blades so I’ll PM him now.

Okay. First of all, Autozone has some great prices. Those pads are dirt cheap even if they are just a ceramic blend.

You need to ask them if it is a complete ceramic pad or if it is a metallic ceramic blend. The ceramic/metal pads are cheaper than the full ceramics, but they leave dust and don’t last as long. If these are full ceramic I would go for them. I sell full ceramic for $74.75 front and $63.75 rear in the NAPA united brand (lifetime warranty). I would not reccomend the ceramic blends for your heavy application, but I carry those at about $45 a set.

And yeah, on your rotors…B.F.H. and a torch.

Auto Zone, Advance Auto both carry SHIT, go to CarQuest or NAPA to get good quality stuff. Sure it will cost you a bit more but you get what you pay for

Thier House brands are garbage, but I think Bendix has about the best stock replacement(metallic or ceramic) pads going right now. Jskrapper who manufactures the NAPA brand? I know carquest is raybestos for thier better line and I’m not a fan of them at all.

Napa’s ceramic pads are made under the United brand by a company called Brake Parts Inc. Sounds generic, but they are supplied by Rayloc wich is actually owned by Genuine Parts Co.(NAPA). They do the majority of NAPA premium brake parts, and electrical parts amongst other things and have a very good reputation of exceeding O.E specs. and life expectancy.

oh god I’ve been brainwashed

Don’t the pure ceramic pads take a while to heat up and thus you don’t have the great quiet stopping power that a standard blend pad would? Specifically, the pure ceramic pads are supposed to be just used for track applications where you are on the brakes as much as you are on the gas, etc?

i’ve got the morse ceramics from AZ on my '94 t-bird…

they work okay. they don’t cause a lot of dust. they also won’t lock up for the life of them at speed, making for some extra panicky panic stops

How about these??

http://www.ssbrakes.com/images.250/239.jpg

They would be great for your big azz truck and trailer…

Yeah I don’t think any street car pad is pure ceramic. If you think about it if you were working your brakes pretty hard and then say went through a puddle I would think they would crack or even shatter from the instant cooling

I’ll give you 150 to do all 4 corners :wink:

Those are real nice, but a bit more than what I need for how I drive this truck. I’m just looking to get something that stops as well as stock but doesn’t require me to clean the front rims twice a week. I’ve never owned a vehicle that produced so much brake dust.

i got ceramic pads from carquest very nice pads. stop good and were cheaper then autozone and advanced