Need new brake pads

I shattered the pad on my rear passenger, and the car has like 30K on it so It is about time to get the OEM shit off and get decent brakes. I have looked at the Hawk HPS and Pro Ceramic, but I am not sure that I need the ceramic, and I am questioning if the HPS is even overkill for the car that does not see too much street time. It is a 2006 with only 30K on it. For reference it is a Nissan Altima 2.5S and I will be doing the pads and the rotors as I think this one will be ground up but good by the time I get to it this weekend.

Any recomendations would be appreciated.

whats wrong with stock pads… or what ever is cheap.

I want more stopping power. I drive this thing like I stole it quite often. And the stock pads make a LOT of thick dust.

if its just a daily driver, I would not hesitate to get teh lifetime warranty albany brake pads…only pay for them once, and they are good quality.

LOL! its DD though… thanks for the idea though I just ordered CSL Brakes lol

if your worried about dust, stay away from hawks.

I would actually give paul at swerve a call and see what he thinks…he has run all different sorts of pads on his autocross car and knows whats good

+1. For street driven vehicles I usually just go with a high quality OEM replacement, ceramic on the Expedition but front brake dust was a real issue with the stock pads.

Not sure why anyone would spend money on HPS stuff for a low powered street car. Have you EVER managed to overheat the stock brakes driving on the street? Ever had brake fade serious enough that you couldn’t reach the ABS engagement point? If no you’re just throwing money away and ending up with a performance pad that won’t last as long and will dust more.

EDIT: I run HPS on the street on the GTO because I did manage to overheat them “playing around” on some back roads out in the country. And yes, they do dust more, but I haven’t had any serious fade issues on the street since switching. From what I’ve read they still won’t be up for track day duty.

I have never overheated them, they just have a better dust rating then the stock pads. I hate having to scrub the brake dust out of my wheels on a regular basis.

Maybe I should just get the luxo ceramic pads that create minimal dust. This is mostly about having something nice that saves me a few minutes of my time, and is just as and more reliable than the factory pads. I just don’t want to spend $80 per axle on the ceramics.

you should have bought snow tires instead

That’s the route I’d go from what you described. Not sure you need “luxo” ceramics though. I got the best ceramics autozone had in stock for my Expedition and I’ve been very happy with them. No problems quickly stopping from 70mph+ with 3000 lbs of trailer pushing me and so little dust I barely have to touch the rims after a month of driving. With the stock pads, especially in the summer when I tow a lot, the rims were black after a week.

I was just calling them luxury because that is how we used to refer to all ceramics waaaayyyy back when I worked in an auto shop.

Too late now… I got the technique down … I never get stuck :slight_smile:

Rockauto.com has the Bendix CT ceramics for $41.79 for the front and $42.79 for the rear for your car. I’ve always been happy with Bendix quality and highly recommend Rockauto.

Code 13213271016885 should get you 5% off your order too.

I ust got a quote from World Discounts for:

Front
Pads: 26.95
Rotors: 29.45 /E

Rear
Pads: 26.95
Rotors: 23.45 /E

That is for the ceramics, and that is actually all that they carry for my car.

I will check out the rockauto too.

^ What brand? Brake pads are one of those things I like going with a trusted brand on, ever since I put a set of “cheap” advance auto pads on my Ranger and the braking was horrible.

They are their house brand… Pronto, that is why I am going to check out the bendix at rockauto. I always use World as a starting point because they are what most repair shops jump to.

if this was for a bike, id have input, but since its not, ill sit here and listen.