Brake questions

Hey guys! First, I’ve searched around and wasn’t able to get much info to my questions so I’m just going to ask here. My brakes last night went to shit. I assume a bad BMC and probably a leak somewhere (car has ABS). Checked it out again this morning, and the fluid level is stuck at min. I added some fluid and it drained back to min. right before my eyes. I’m pretty pissed at it. Anyways… my questions are:

1. Should I just replace the WHOLE ABS system to non-ABS?
  2. If i’m replacing the whole system, would I just need the BMC, booster and hardlines? Or do I need a new caliper set?
  3. Is it easy to replace?

This is my first time servicing my own brake system, the mechanic charged me a shit load before so I’m doing this to save money and also to learn something new. Thanks!

If anyone is knowlegable(sp?) about the 240sx brake system, please add me on msn, djdeborja@hotmail.com
I probably will have more questions about it.

Dave

First try and find out where the leak is at. It might just be you have a ruptured line somewhere.

You dont need to go non-abs. It’s not that you’d have to replace everything to dissable the system, it’s just not really worth it imo.

If your lines and calipers aren’t leaking then it’s likely the MC, booster or the ABS actuator. Figure out which one has the leak and replace it.

seems like the abs is leaking, and just as one of the lines start on the BMC

Leaking from where?

I’m assuming this is for an S14 and im not 100% sure if it’s the same on an S13

There are 2 hard lines that run from the MC to the abs actuator on the passenger side of the car. From there you’ll find 2 lines exiting for the front left/right and one for the rear that splits at the rear axle. Is the leak from one of those lines?

The thing is you cant just pull the abs actuator and make your car non-abs just like that. The non abs MC has 3 lines exiting one with a proportioning valve. Not only that but all the hardline lengths would all be different,.