Bran new clutch Slipping..

I just got my clutch installed brand new exedy and when i shift into 3rd gear the rpm go up and the speed doesnt, and then its slowly catches up if you stay in the gas kinda like lag…

i just dont understand this i just got everything new and it makes me really upset becasue its another 600$ to get a new one installed!..i just cant win latly with my car…

any input would be great…

thanks

Did you break in the clutch properly?

Was the flywheel resurfaced?

Was the clutch bled, and pedal height adjusted?

Did the clutch come from eBay?

its this clutch

http://cgi.ebay.ca/EXEDY-91-94-ONLY-NISSAN-240SX-OEM-CLUTCH-KIT-JDM_W0QQitemZ330112425556QQihZ014QQcategoryZ33730QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

its not like a XTR or F1 racing clutches which blow up in ur tranny. its a true exedy, came in the packaging, had it stamped. Exact same as my friends.

Ive been talking to lucas, and he says it only slips in 3rd and 4th. which leads me to beleive its a pedal adjustment. If a clutch is going to go it usually slips in all the gears. and especially 1st and 2nd in my experience

The clutch is broken in now acoring to the shop.

Yes

I went back this monring to them complaining about a spongy clutch pedal like it had no spring to it so they bled it again pedal felt better after that

pedal height i dont know bout that…

the clutch came from e bay yes who i bought from snowboard_240sx…witch sasy it wasent used…i belive him becasue it dident look used plus his car wasent on the road to drive it.

u never broke the clutch in though. The shop told u dont need to. Hes put less than 300km’s and has been driving it hard since put in.

I went through a tank of gas before beating on it and by beating i mean shifting at around 5000 rpm…i really dont think i did anything to it like that.

did you go easy on it for the first 500km at least?

should be atleast 500km stop and go traffic, not revving hard or higher than 3-4000rpm. highways should be avoided.

Can someone explain to me why revving a clutch out before its worn in isnt a good idea? I agree not shifting it at 5K but once the clutch is engaged then I really dont see what the difference between 3K and 6K is.
Same goes for highway…Ive never heard of having to avoid it. What on earth would cause it to go bad when the clutch is rarely used on the highway.

It can glaze the clutch which can lead to slipping.

Another wierd thing about this is when the car is warmed and driven for a while it slips…but at first driving it its fine…i just dont get it …the cars going to another shop on wensday for other things and im going to get them to look at the trannny make sure everything is ok …if it is the clutch that sucks for me …im not really into another 600$ for a clutch and install but nothing elese to do really.

check your slave cylinder and master cylinder? and is there any “Slop” in the pedal, meaning u can press it down an "1 or so before it actually catches?

its easy to adjust your clutch pedal height, get on your back and look at te connecting rod that goes to the back of the actual clutch pedal to the master cylinder. there are 2 bolts, as u turn one, u will notice the rod get closer to the pedal. then turn the other nut closer to the firewall to lock it in place, this will eliminate any pedal slop.

if u dont get my right up, it is a little sketchy, pm me and i will see if i can scan in the FSM page that will explain it better. really easy to do, get on your back and take a look at the clutch pedal and i think u can figure it out.

good luck, double check your fluid level too, u can do this by looking under the shift boot and secondary rubber boot, make sure u see fluid!

PauL

I think I know exactly whats going on… Im feeling your crank seal is leaky and its leaking onto the clutch making it slip… when it slips for a bit like u say… it heats up and burns off the oil leaving dry clutch… until the next time u clutch it where there is place for the oil to fall… Not breaking it in properly shouldn’t make it slip like that…

buddy, go under ure clutch pedal and adjust the engagement point of your clutch…99% of the time this is the issue …

I took it back to them today and asked about all these things…in like 20 minutes im going there and they are going to adjust the pedal more they said …i asked them aobut any leacks they said if any seals were leacking that it would drip on the ground also

when i start the car and drive its fine doesnt slip at all …after about 20 minutes of driving it slips.

so i dont see how the clutch can be bad…if if works at first but then slips…

i think the one guy i was dealing with just had enough of the car…the guy there today was better…

just letting you all know…

keep ideas coming when i get back ill see if the pedal adjustment worked…

i am determined to get to the bottom of the problem i hope soon…

just got back from the shop…

it was the adjustment! …car runs like it should now!

im happy it wasent the clutch …i knew it was something fucked up

thanks guys for helping figure it out now it pulls good in 3rd

so pretty much they had it so it was putting a bit of preasure on the clutch to make it act like that…

ive only driven in back once now from the shop but i think it will be ok now

DUDE I TOLD YOU

and here u were all upset with me

I just got my clutch installed brand new exedy and when i shift into 3rd gear the rpm go up and the speed doesnt, and then its slowly catches up if you stay in the gas kinda like lag…

i just dont understand this i just got everything new and it makes me really upset becasue its another 600$ to get a new one installed!..i just cant win latly with my car…

any input would be great…

thanks

Did you break in the clutch properly?

Was the flywheel resurfaced?

Was the clutch bled, and pedal height adjusted?

Did the clutch come from eBay?

its this clutch

http://cgi.ebay.ca/EXEDY-91-94-ONLY-NISSAN-240SX-OEM-CLUTCH-KIT-JDM_W0QQitemZ330112425556QQihZ014QQcategoryZ33730QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

its not like a XTR or F1 racing clutches which blow up in ur tranny. its a true exedy, came in the packaging, had it stamped. Exact same as my friends.

Ive been talking to lucas, and he says it only slips in 3rd and 4th. which leads me to beleive its a pedal adjustment. If a clutch is going to go it usually slips in all the gears. and especially 1st and 2nd in my experience