How do u adjust a Clutch

Hey guys I just bought a new car and the clutch pedel has alot of play in it and the clutch dosnt grab very well, My dad drove it and said the Clutch needs adjustment, He also said he had to have it done an his accord, I assume it can be done on my stealth I just dont know how, If anybody knows hit me up.

should be right on the pedal

There should be an adjuster behind the pedal…that usually adjusts the engangement point…I guess if its too out of whack it wont allow for proper engagement…try that
first

Is that for the linkage or the cluth itself, thats what I think is out of wack

I will, If it is of any help, it grabs great In 1st and second but gets worse as the gears go up

sound like a bad clutch…does it grab when its cold and start to slip as it gets hotter

If it’s a cable clutch with too much play there should be a wheel at the throwout arm (on top of the tranny in the engine bay) that adjusts the length of the cable.

and there is alot of play in the pedel, thats what makes me think that the clutch is not fucked

Could be, but wouldnt it be slipping like hell in all gears?

If there’s a lot of play in the pedal it shouldn’t be slipping. You should be having trouble getting the clutch to disengage. Sounds like it’s time for a new clutch.

does it start to slip in 1st or second once its gets hot…or is it only the higher gears…if its ONLY the higher gears I would say adjustment

I know but I just bought the car and I cant afford it, hears the deal with the pedel, It is all the way engage about half way up, and then just goes limp, like the cable is not tight.

What car is it?

uhh… how about: what year,make,etc?

its olny in high gears like on the thruway, and my dad drove it and said thats what it would be. mainly 4-5, not as bad in 3rd

1991 dodge Stealth ES

I assume that it needs adjustment, but has anyone ever done this before ? Cause I have’nt

If there is a lot of play I think you’d be have problems getting it to disengage, not engage.

Think about how it works:
With no cable/line attached, the clutch would be completely engaged. As you attach a cable and start tightening it to take out the slack it would start disengaging the clutch.

It probably is slipping in 1st and 2nd, it’s just harder to notice because the revs build quickly in those gears.

Dodge Stealth = Hydraulic Clutch

Does that mean no adjustmant ?