New clutch - but slips when accelerating

So i just got my new clutch installed and its been driving fine the past 2 days.
As i was driving to school i noticed that when i tried to accelerate faster, the car will rev but the power transfer is very minimal.

Before i put in the new clutch, i played around with the clutch pedal adjustment, i had it on the highest setting (engagement at the very top of the pedal) and i dont think the shop re-adjusted it.

Is it a matter of re-adjusting the clutch, ive gone from a very worn out clutch to a brand new one?

any of thoughts?
Thanks

Work it in softly for 500 km’s first.

If problem persists, look into the adjustment (unless the engagement is literally RIGHT at the top of the pedal, in which case it might only ever be “half-engaging” so adjustment would be necessary).

Good luck.

yea, i have a feeling it IS half-engaging…
id have to balance the pedal at the very very top and still seems like it needs more engaging…

Ill adjust it right after school and let you kno if it helps…

So i wasn’t able to adjust the pedal at school, didnt have the right tools and the bolt was super ass tight.

I noticed that when the car warmed up, the slipping while accelerating thing got worse, i cant gather enough power to even switch lanes. I get good power till about 2700 rpm and from there on if i press the accelerater the engine revs without the wheels moving faster.

Also noticed my clutch pedal is pretty soft, ill give my slave a check…

Someone mentioned it may be “half engaging”, i was wondering what this actually is and is it bad to continue driving the car like this…

Thanks

I would guess that since you had it working fine for 2 days and the issues came after having adjusted it, it’s probably just needing an adjustment…but if the pedal is soft, you may want to re-bleed the system and look into possible master/slave issues…

All I meant by “half-engaging” was that engagement point might be so high along your pedal travel that it never even actually fully engages.

But hey these are just some thoughts…good luck!

now that you have mentioned it, I have the same problem with my car… I did the 5spd. swap recently, and we put a new clutch and pressure plate in.

The clutch engages when the pedal is almost all the way up… I didn’t think it was a problem really…

The thing is, I won’t be able to play around with the pedal adjustment or anything like that until I bring the car out again in the spring.

Keep us updated on this. I really wanna know how you’ll solve this.

wow just today i broughtmy car to my mechanic to check it out because i have a brand new clutch i got a few weeks ago and the same things are happening. he re bled the pedal and it felt a little better but it was still engaging way too high to i’m gonna fiddle with it this weekend. i’ll keep you posted.

It is really easy to adjust it, it will take about 5 min to do and a little longer to get it where you want it

if it is right at the top about 2.5 to 3 full turns in should give you a good grab point

Ok…now something wierd is really up…i just changed the clutch on wednesday, and now, today…my clutch is toast(hasn’t even been a week)…its feels exactly the same way it did when my old clutch was on its way out!!! and this is BRAND NEW…

oh man, this is such a piss off since i just spent 500 on the clutch and install and i have to pay next semesters tuition in a few weeks…

Does anyone know what can cause my clutch to die out on me soo fast??

Thanks a lot guys…

P.S i DO know how to drive a manual transmission, been driving this car for 3 years now…

As someone mentioned earlier, your clutch may not have been adjusted properly and may not have been disengaging completely. IF this was the case then 1 weeks worth of driving would kill your new clutch!

Yup. You can’t just adjust the pedal to your liking by toying with the adjustments underneath. Get a copy of the FSM, your clutch pedal should have a certain amount of free play and also be resting a certain distance from the floor. There are also a few more measurements that have to be set to spec as well.

As someone mentioned earlier, your clutch may not have been adjusted properly and may not have been disengaging completely. IF this was the case then 1 weeks worth of driving would kill your new clutch!

how do you check to see if it has been adjusted wrong because i am having the exact same thing happen to my clutch…would it bee the mechanic’s fault???

I’d get the FSM, study it for a day then get under your dash and adjust your pedal. Loosen the adjustement locking nut and turn the adjustement assemply away from the firewall in order to move the engagement point closer to the floor.

IIRC